So like I said yesterday, I goofed up and made my panel openings larger than my panel. I looked back through the stock I had left over and it was too thin to use so I needed to rely on off-cuts to patch my mistakes. Blue tape to the rescue.
I cut out the over-sized shapes that would go into the door panel and used scraps to fill in the empty spots.
I traced the outline of the openings onto the curly maple panel and then used calipers to oversize it and sribe a new line to cut to.
Then I sanded the inside curves smooth.
Once the repairs were made I used a 1/4” slot cutting bit to rout a grove to receive the panels.
I set the bit so it would clear any joinery, but still give me room for carving.
Then I routed away a 1/4” from the face where the tree limbs wouldn’t be to give it more depth.
Upon starting the second door I did the thing I forgot to yesterday and laid it all out. I was happy with the repair job so I am not as worried if I decide to go a bit outside the lines.
I had trouble with the tree looking like a bug when I had three branches off to each side so I yanked one out.
I might lower the bottom left branch down a bit more, but so far so good.
-- Brian Noel