Got my Microdot Friday. Yay!
I had found a good wood filler a few days ago and had filled in and sanded all of the holes.
I covered both surfaces with ample adhesive. Waited until they were plenty dry. Just as before, I used dowels to keep the pieces apart as I wined them up. Removed the dowels one by one and pressed on the Formica.
I did a preliminary rolling with the J-Roller then flush trimmed the edges of the laminate. Everything was going fine.
I spent 10 minutes furiously rolling the laminate with all of my might. And then I noticed a bubble. A large bubble. An area approximately 20” square was not sticking. It wasn’t a high bubble, maybe a 16th or so. Enough that I could tap on it and hear it slap the MDF underneath.
I don’t know what happened. Maybe I didn’t use enough adhesive. Whatever the cause I decided to rip off the laminate and try again. IMPOSSIBLE.
I could not for the life of me get the cured adhesive off. It came up in some spots, but mostly it stuck. The adhesive jar said to use 3M Citrus Base Cleaner to remove dried adhesive. Of course my small Iowa town held no such stores stocking this stuff. I went to hardware store and was recommended a solvent to use.
I went home and used it, but found that it wasn’t doing the trick. After some time, I decided to leave it be and wait until the next day (today) to come up with another plan.
Well, this morning I learned that the solvent I used was absolutely the wrong stuff. Everywhere the solvent touched the MDF caused swelling and bumps. Little bumps all over the table I agonized over in order to maintain flatness. Now it is toast.
I’ve been thinking some now about granite for my table. It just so happens that this company is in my town and I happen to know the owner pretty well. I might swing over there Monday. New blog will be created if I go that route.