LumberJocks

Maple Frame & Panel Box

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 08-12-2018 08:57 PM 8 parts 4243 reads 10 comments total

Part 1: A start up

08-01-2018 04:36 AM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Have a large pile of Maple, and other hardwood scraps in the shop. Don’t really want to burn them….maybe a bit of resaw work….and wind up with a Frame & Panel Box/ Mini Chest? May make it similar to a Walnut & Cherry box I made a long while back. First, need to resaw some of the chunks down a bit.. Part of the stash. Bandsaw has a 1/4” blade on it.. While it is less stress on the saw, with the replacement motor, at least it is sharper than this ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Cutting parts for the frames

08-02-2018 10:16 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Got that panel up of the clamps…and out of my way…. This is what the “Plan” looks like…but nothing is set in stone….have to adapt to what sizes I have on hand.. Made a “cut list” of sorts…it said I needed 4 pieces @ 3/4×1-1/2×8-1/2” so those were milled.. It also said I needed 4 pieces @ 3/4” x 1” x 8-1/2”.....so milled those up…..then things got….changed..List called for 4 pieces, t...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Frame making, and a lot of grooves needed

08-02-2018 10:41 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Got a bit done today…before the Boss made me mow the yard…..sitting in front of the A/C Unit now. Had the Stanley 45 still set up for dado work….needed to set up for these cutters, instead.. Mainly than #12 groove cutter. The 1/4” Tongue cutter will come later….had to make sure they matched each other.. Don’t need the spurs….going with the grain….rotated these up, out of the way….long rods are held in the vise… Alw...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Time for a little assembly?

08-04-2018 04:40 PM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Got both panels out of the clamps….needed to bevel the edges, to make them into Raised Panels… First, they needed trimmed and jointed, so they will fit into the frames….then a jig was made up So I could bevel the end grain ends first, and check for fit… Bevel extends about 3/4” back from the edge..once both ends were beveled, the the long grain edges were done.. Once both edges were done, and the frame for the back of the box was ready…glue and ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Ends are made

08-05-2018 02:18 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Well, first..the front and back frames came out of the clamps…..not quite perfectly matched…we have ways Clamped together, back to back. Ran the #3c plane around, until they are matched up.. Set these aside, for now. Have the four corner blocks for the end frames to do….cut them all to the final length on the mite box. Gang them up into the vise, and try to get them all the same size.. One of them was having “issues”. Had a bit of trouble with i...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Assembled....and a forest of clamps

08-07-2018 02:48 AM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Ends came out of the clamps…..test fits….weren’t that great. Decided not to cut a groove across the ends, just a notch in the bottom panel will do. Had to use a bunch of clamps, to get this thing together….one corner wasn’t going to line up….either the groove was off, or the tongue was… This was just the start of the follies…needed to add a couple cauls, to pull the ends into square…. More clamps. one on each end..Then, no...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Lid installed, handle options...

08-10-2018 10:57 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Before I left for the hospital stay…and knowing no stairs would be allowed….I brought the box and the lid up stairs. Lid had been sanded, front corners were cut round. Block plane to ease a few edges….then let it sit a while… Until that hole in the leg heals up, this is going to be my shop….working as I can…lid? Not much was done yesterday..once I got back home…was a tad “loopy”. Hinges are a small item I can do, today. Yep...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Handles installed, case is varnished

08-12-2018 08:57 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

And about ready to post as a Project. Handles went on…using the same Yankee #41 push drill to do pilot holes.. Big handles on the ends.. Went with this for the lid. Shellac applied to the lid, and a few spots that I missed earlier…. Needed a way to hold this lid opened, like this….without using something to prop it open.. Some black chain, cut to length, and a pair of the smallest cup hooks I could dig up… Once I got the final length ( missed it by ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com