LumberJocks

A project in Maple

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 10-12-2017 05:27 PM 10 parts 5692 reads 17 comments total

Part 1: start ups

09-21-2017 01:02 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Still had a stack of Maple “scraps” sitting around, needed a project to use them up on…...maybe a small blanket chest? Let’s see… This is most of the wood supply….I also went and bought a 1×4 x 8’ Maple plank, as I might need a few pieces to cover ..oops items…. I had this glued up panel from Charles Neil….and there was a 5/4 slab in the stack.. It did have a crack that finally gave way. Not sure why it was stained, eith...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Hey, glue ups!

09-21-2017 01:28 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Today, was much better. Even remembered to turn the shop light and the fan on! Goal was to get at least the front assembly glued up, and a start on the back assembly.. Last two mortises were chopped…did a few fittings with the rest of the parts. There was another panel glued up….took it out of the clamps, and used the two completed raised panels to mark out for size…..blank was an inch shorter than I wanted…..decided a wider center stile would work….set...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Another glue up, with problems

09-24-2017 02:47 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Thought I could get another glue up done….. Like before, I milled a few tenons. Shoulder cuts on the mitre box, cheek cuts on the bandsaw. That shoulder plane helped tune a couple tenons… Got out the old mortise jig….It was set up for these 3/4” thick rails. Chopped the center mortises in the rails…stiles are 4/4 thick, had to re-adjust the jig…..to chop a few mortises… BTW, Dog holes are an excellent way to keep chisels from rolling of...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Much better day

09-25-2017 12:12 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Even got a few things done! Right after this morning’s Blog post, went to the shop. Had the panel to be raised.. Once that was done….started on the frames to hold the raised panels….Had some “leftovers” took those to the existing panels…..marked for length. Marked for width at 1-1/8” wide. Set up the resaw jig. Ran all four stiles through. Then ganged them up, after cutting a foot detail on one end.. #4 smooth plane was still out, u...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Getting assembled...

09-29-2017 04:09 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Not moving the best, this week, forced to take things a bit easy…..Ok, to get caught up with this project…. Got the fourth panel all glued up….and even did a test fit… Which left the problem of the glue joints at the corners….took yesterday off…wasn’t feeling too good.. Today, after a decent rest, went SLOWLY to the shop…trying to keep the trips up and down the stairs as low as I can…..Set up an end panel in the vise… I...

Read this entry »


Part 6: A bottom framed, a puppy died, a lid done...

10-01-2017 04:22 AM by bandit571 | 5 comments »

Had a little 3 month old puppy in the house…..she came down sick the other day….the next morning she passed away, before we could even get her to the vet…..thinking something poisoned her out in the yard…. Ok, I wasn’t in a very good mood when I returned to the shop… Hammer and chisel to shape the feet a bit, to at least blend them together….Ripped a bunch of maple scraps into 1×1s…and made a frame of sorts.. To support the plywood...

Read this entry »


Part 7: a PIP, and a tray?

10-06-2017 11:18 PM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Well, catching up….trying to get this project done..sometime… Got this all sanded down to 120 grit…and added a coat of amber shellac…. Still needs to have the hinges installed…. All squared edges were rounded over, using a spokeshave, a block plane, and smoothed out with the sander..Hinges? Well…they did make it ON to the chest…in a way. The Maple 1×1 and the 1×4? The skinny one is to be a rail. The one by is to supply a...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Hinges, rails, and dovetails

10-08-2017 08:12 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Hinges I had bought for this project…looked a bit wimpy….needed something a bit …different. Some yard sale finds gave me a few hinges to try. One “leaf” was a bit too long, though. Grinder to remove the “excess” metal.. One is a before, the other three are after the grinder work. Sat the lid in the vise, laid out the locations for the hinges, drilled a few pilot holes…. Once all three were done, I set the lid aside, cleared a sp...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Tray completed

10-10-2017 08:44 PM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Monday….got the sides glued up…..Traced the bottom panel, after the sides came back out of the clamps,,,bandsaw to remove the excess. Press fit into place. helped square the sides up…then just some nails, no glue, to hold the bottom in place.. Then used the tray to mark how far down to install the rails. Three screws each, no glue…then a tes drive.. Then the important part…does the lid close, without hitting the tray? Got to thinking, dangero...

Read this entry »


Part 10: A chain and a brace for the lid

10-12-2017 05:27 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

A trip to Walmart…..bought a packet of chain & hooks…16’. Was the shortest they had. More for hanging a flower pot, but….I only needed a wee bit. Rest can still go to hang a flower pot…. Set the id opened to where it looked about right…eyeballed the length needed, and grabbed the bolt cutters to trim the chain to length. Two screws, set into pilot holes, to hold the chain….that was the “easy part”... So, how to hold th...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com