LumberJocks

Hidden figers joints?

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 03-21-2017 11:39 PM 4 parts 1372 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: Have the first and second done..

03-17-2017 08:04 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

A friend decided that he wanted to see full blind finger joints done. So, I walked out of Lowes with a pair of Poplar 1×4 x 24” boards. Figured it would be a little easier than using my supply of 3/8” thick pine…. I cut one of the boards into a pair of 6” long “Ends” ( yep, making yet another box) and a 12” side. laid out for the end joints.. I do have just the saw to cut these to length.. This works better than the bandsaw, for...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Last two corners..

03-20-2017 12:35 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Might as well make a box out of this… Worked on finding better ways of doing this…bandsaw was used for a bit on some areas, to hog off some of the waste. I also used the 358 mitre box for some of the crosscuts. Laid out the fingers.. This was after I had cut the mitred ends. More of the handsaw work at a 45 degree cut. Marked out where the ends of the fingers would be, and cut the excess off. SHARP chisels to remove the waste to form “pockets” The b...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Heading for a glue up

03-21-2017 02:38 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Ok, wasn’t the plan to work on a Monday in the shop…just kind of happened… Thought I could just size two plywood panels to make the lid and the bottom panels….Marked one out, thinking I could use that to mark a second one, once the first was done….bandsaw cuts were a bit..wavy. Got out a plane to un-wavy them.. Got a Junior Jack plane to joint the edges straight. Checked the ends with a square….recut, and then joint THAT edge. Then go through ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Getting about done

03-21-2017 11:39 PM by bandit571 | 5 comments »

Spent most of the day working on this box. When I removed the clamps, I found one corner that hadn’t glued up… So, got out the glue, and a couple big clamps. Trickle the glue into the open joint, and crank the thing tight.. I also took a bit of time to clean the other end of the box up.. Block plane to level things a bit. Since this is the bottom of the box, it would be nice if it would sit flat.. Set up the Stanley 45… With a bead cutter….I think it...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com