LumberJocks

rehab for an old plane..

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 03-06-2016 02:13 AM 885 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Won an Ohio Tool Co. No.0-7 last weekend. Waited all week for it to get here. This is what came out of the box today..

Like anything that is 100 years old, it had a few “issues” going on. Sole had plenty of rust craters, they were a bit larger than just pits. Mouth opening had been filed, by someone who had no clue. At least the wood was intact.

First step in the rehab process….tear the plane down, as far as I can. Had to dump out a few things…

Got all the parts sitting out..

Then packed everything downstairs to the shop, along with the camera, and a $3 pack of sandpaper ( that I only used a single square piece of. Got the iron and chipbreaker apart, somehow. Chipbreaker was bent, the iron was worse. hammer wouldn’t get all the bend out, tried to use my hands and a vise…..snap!

Bummer…I think I have a spare Stanley one. Sanded the chip breaker, or tried..

Nice and shiny along the edges? Hmm, got out the hammer, again. Seems the chipbreaker was also “cupped” Pounded the high side down, kept checking along the edge as it was also curved. Finally got it flat.

As for all the bolts and other small stuff, I used a wire wheel to clean them off.

Along with the frog. I used a pair of small Visegrips to hold onto the smaller parts. They have a way of flying off into the sunset, otherwise.

the before…

And the after. I also clean all the threads. Lever cap was cleaned up, and ready to polish. Lateral lever was done as well. Time to get the big guns out..

I use this for the frog’s face and seat. Lever cap was sanded a bit better. Then the base castings’s turn

This is not so much as to “lap” the sole as to clean all the rust and burrs off. Sole and both sides. The Mouth opening?

The front of it was at an angle. I scribed a line with the square, grabbed a big file, and filed back to the line. I also removed any burrs there as well. I used a cup brush to clean the insides of the base. Then a rag to wipe it down. rattle can of Rustoleum Black to recoat the insides. More to prevent any MORe rust from coming back.

Before I spray paint these sorts of things, I fill all threaded holes with 3in1 oil. I also sprayed the frog where black was before. Other items are now polished up.

Bottom of the frog is down

Oiled the threads, painted the frog, polished the lever cap, tuned the chipbreaker and polished it up, The Stanley iron was honed up…

The wood parts were wiped down with an oily rag. Didn’t need to refinish them. All parts back together. A tad bit of oil on all the threads. Sides look good..

The sole? Meh…i got rid of any and all burrs. Sole is smooth. The craters will not hurt anything

besides, I always rub a candle across the soles of the planes I use. Just a place to store a bit of wax. Not worth the time or effort to “lap” them all out, anyway. Soo, I guess I will be on the lookout for a replacement Ohio Tool Co. iron. Seems to be a 2-3/8” or so wide.

Process doesn’t take all that long. Plane wasn’t too bad. part of the “polishing” is done with a 1/4 sheet sander and fine sandpaper….I used one square.

Thanks for looking in..

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use



2 comments so far

View NormG's profile

NormG

5507 posts in 2471 days


#1 posted 03-06-2016 05:14 AM

Nice rehab, you will get another 100 years out of this plane

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

3112 posts in 2248 days


#2 posted 03-06-2016 05:16 PM

Good save Bandit !

-- Glen, B.C. Canada

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com