What to do with a Walnut slab.. #5: Glue up, and a lot of assembly work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 12-02-2015 09:27 PM 684 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Getting the last of the mortises done.. Part 5 of What to do with a Walnut slab.. series no next part

Ok, first was a late-nighter, to get things glued up..

Four of the F style clamps, and that pipe clamp. Pipe clamp was to pull everything into square. Checked the diagonals each way…30-1/2” Seems to be good enough. Stacked a few other parts on top..

Note the little metal bracket? I had a few sets of these Stanley Chair brackets from a yard sale, might as well use them in the corners as reinforcements.

Ok, let this mess set awhile. Woke up today, back was 95% pain free! Decided to put ALL of the parts together

Working from the “Top” down as it were… Used the shop stool to help hold up the end of the top. Seemed to be a problem at first. Couldn’t get the top off the leg assembly….glue had run down and under a leg…Popped them apart. Edge of the top needed jointed, as it was still roughsawn.. Stanley No.5-1/2 took care of that.

Corners needed to be rounded, needed a “pattern” first….what to use?

It is called a Dose Cup. Used to put in just the right amount of soap into the washer. Black Sharpie to mark things out. Vintage tool to cut the curves..

Yep, B&D sabre saw. Used it for quite a few things today. As for those brackets? I opened a second set, had a place for them. Needed a “drill” to do pilot holes, though.

This was after I “fixed” a couple bad knots in the top. Bandsaw had a pile of walnut sawdust. Spread some glue into the holes, add the sawdust, then sand it flush.

Ok, top is installed, set aside. I worked on the shelf. It wound up too wide, and too short. Too wide I can fixed by a few notches on the ends to fit around the legs.

Too short? well, I kept a few offcuts. Two were picked out. Cleaned up, counter-bored holes made. I used the dose cup again to curve a few places….

This was the easy end, the other end had other issues..

A little out of square. While making all the other cuts, I also squared this off. Ends are now capped. Cleared the bench, brought the table over and set it up. Took a bit of fussing to get the shelf in….had to turn it end for end.
Drum Roll, If you please?

We have a PIP!! Shelf ends even look good?

So, what is left for this table? Debating on using the router to make a fancy edge on the top, and maybe the shelf..Needed the holes plugged with shop made walnut plugs. Lots of sanding? Maybe. Then maybe a finish of some sort? Just a clear finish would do? BLO/Poly?
Stay tuned, we are just about done with this …..thing.

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

2 comments so far

View racerglen's profile


3112 posts in 2197 days

#1 posted 12-03-2015 12:01 AM

Atta boy Bandit, just rolling through it ! Looking good..

-- Glen, B.C. Canada

View Mean_Dean's profile


4928 posts in 2563 days

#2 posted 12-03-2015 12:44 AM

When it’s time to put on finish, you know you’re almost there!

With walnut, I like home brew Danish oil. Usually semi-gloss polyurethane/BLO/mineral spirits. If you want more protection for the top, I like semi-gloss wiping varnish—again, home brewed. 1:1 poly/mineral spirits. I’ve tried a thicker mix, but found it didn’t wipe off very well, and that the 1:1 works best, even if it’s a slow build.

Can’t wait to see the finished project!

-- Dean

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics