The $5 Challenge Plane

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 08-25-2012 04:26 PM 1719 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

That I took upon myself. Got a box in the mail. Opened it up to….

WOW! Rusty and Crusty! Made of a Witch’s Brew and set some thing to soak awhile. I also got some supplies in house, charged up the cordless drill’ batteries, both of them. Tub for the soaking was from the Hospital stay last year.

Didn’t have anything to “shock” it with, so, time for the wire wheels, and some sandpaper…Got the small items cleaned up a bit…

Wire wheel in a drill in one hand, part in a Visegrips pliers in the other hand. Worked my way through all the parts. Went out and bought a cup wire wheel, with brass wires. Needed it to get into the tight areas. Got the larger items cleaned up..

the base’s bottom

the frog, and some more bolts. Got the base masked off, as well as the frog. All that bare metal needed some paint, just to stop the rust…

and the frog…

about four coats of Rustoleum Gloss black. The aim was to stop any more rust damage. Tried a “mock up” of the parts. The old front knob was toast, a new knob, and a new tote from my “spares”...

Time to work on some broken off bolts. Both handle bolts were so bad, both had snapped off, before the plane arrived. I bought a small screw extractor, drilled the holes, place the brand new extractor in the hole, gave it a twist, and… snapped off. Got out some other drill bits, and a 1/4” x 20 tap. Once I had the junk out of both holes, and new threads cut, time to finish cleaning the shiny parts. Done in the main woodshop (Pole Barn Woodshop) where I had a drill press. Chucked up some wire wheels, and went to town.

Frog has been lapped, and shined up, along with it’s bolts. Even the Brass wheel is now shiny. The Base got a Extreme Make-over, the bottom after the wire wheels and lapping on sandpaper…

The sides, after the same treatment..

and the other side.. Handle Handles are temp. bolted in place, iron is as sharp as i can get it. Maybe a test drive, on some Beech?

About a two day refurbishing. Waiting on some correct bolts. I’ll rethread them, fit them to a couple new 1/4”x20 bolts. The iron and chip breaker: Both has a pit problem. I can get all but the last little bit of one corner of the chip breaker to mate with the iron. May have to replace both items. But, it does look better now, than when I opened that mailing box?

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

4 comments so far

View Kookaburra's profile


748 posts in 2224 days

#1 posted 08-25-2012 04:36 PM

it definitely looks better and I applaud your commitment to recovering this plane. Not something I will be doing – but I am glad you have the patience and perseverance!

-- Kay - Just a girl who loves wood.

View Don W's profile

Don W

18715 posts in 2567 days

#2 posted 08-25-2012 05:30 PM

we dub you the master over all rusty things sir!

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View LukieB's profile


966 posts in 2330 days

#3 posted 08-25-2012 05:40 PM

Awesome job Bandit, hard to believe that’s the same plane!

-- Lucas, "Someday woodworks will be my real job, until then, there's this"

View waho6o9's profile


8191 posts in 2577 days

#4 posted 08-25-2012 06:08 PM

Amazing transformation, great work Bandit!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics