LumberJocks

Hidden figers joints? #2: Last two corners..

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 03-20-2017 12:35 AM 556 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Have the first and second done.. Part 2 of Hidden figers joints? series Part 3: Heading for a glue up »

Might as well make a box out of this…

Worked on finding better ways of doing this…bandsaw was used for a bit on some areas, to hog off some of the waste. I also used the 358 mitre box for some of the crosscuts. Laid out the fingers..

This was after I had cut the mitred ends. More of the handsaw work at a 45 degree cut. Marked out where the ends of the fingers would be, and cut the excess off. SHARP chisels to remove the waste to form “pockets”

The bandsaw remove most of the beveled area. A chisel could then pare the area nice and smooth. Dry fit..

And again, after corner #4 was done..

The only clamp here, was to hold the one end on the bench, the rest of the parts were held by the joints. Needs a bit of fine tuning, though..

One of the tools I was using, needed a new handle..

So, the rasp got the remains of an old Harbor Freight lathe chisel’s handle.

Might as well make a box out of these parts..

Needed to make a jig, to hold the parts still long enough to plough a couple grooves…..First version…didn’t go too well. The long sloped piece split from the screw. Decided to split the bad part off with a chisel….OW! and split a bit of hide of the little finger, right along the fingernail…..In the photo above, this is after the piece was redrilled and attached….and a bandaid. Tried one of the shorter pieces…Meh… Redid things again..

Because the sloped part was long enough to hit the Stanley 45’s rods as they went by…..we have ways..

Chopped a bunch off. There is also a screw beside it, to help hold the parts securely. Idea was to mill two grooves, one for the bottom panel, and one for the lid’s panel. Decided not to add a groove to split the top off with….

I also discovered I hadn’t reset the depth of the cut, it was still set up for the thinner stock of the last project. Reset to about 3/8” deep. I had a small panel of plywood, I thought MIGHT work for either the top or the lid. Started a dry fit, to mark things out..

This was as for as I got for the day, finger was hurting pretty good. gave up for the night, and closed the shop.

Maybe Tuesday, I can size the plywood panels and try a dry run on how to glue this thing up. Might need an extra pair of hands. Stay tuned, things will get “Very Interesting” I think…

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use



2 comments so far

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4196 posts in 1957 days


#1 posted 03-20-2017 12:41 AM

Heeeeeey, I am back from the future I have seen your finished box already!

I will just refuel the Delorian and will be back with you soon to help

-- Regards Robert

View Gene Howe's profile (online now)

Gene Howe

9422 posts in 3182 days


#2 posted 03-20-2017 12:41 AM

I’m tuned to both channels. Love to watch you work.

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com