LumberJocks

Shop storage projects #17: A drawer is made

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 01-29-2017 04:53 AM 550 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 16: Top is done.... Part 17 of Shop storage projects series Part 18: Another drawer, and lessons learned.. »

One down, four to go…
Since I was in the area, I stopped at a Home Depot for a few boards…..At the prices they wanted, it will be just a few boards. I think I have enough to at least build three of the five drawers. So, did a bit of measuring, and a bit of crosscutting after I got home..

Wasn’t in the mood to use a handsaw, so this old, Vintage saw will have to do….went back upstairs for a while…

Decided to at least test out a different “dovetail saw”....but, first I needed to lay out some lines…..then some pins…then the chisels wanted to join in..one thing led to another, and..

And this corner appeared….hmm, not too bad, but it was getting a bit late…..so late I slept in this morning.

Went to the shop just before lunch…10:30 or so…Needed to cut the other corner’s dovetails, and a few other jobs…

Ok, this is the saw used today in the shop, a bit smaller than the usual saws…I usually do pins first,

Hardest part is figuring out which way these things go, sander was an “eraser” today. Once the lines are cut, it becomes a “dance” with the chisels.

Nothing special or fancy, just an old 1/2” wide chisel and mallet. I chop half way down, flip the board over..

And use a narrower chisel to finish the pins. Then, I use these pins to mark the tails, again trying to keep things going the correct direction…

Then chop out the waste. Since I don’t do angled cuts too well, these were done at the bandsaw, leaving the lines by cutting on the waste side. Test fit the two boards..

Ok, the board for the drawer front has a slight cup to it, will pull it in with clamps during the glue up. First, though, I needed some plane work done..

The Stanley #45 set up to plough a groove to house the 5mm plywood bottom. Needed a jig to hold the bards still long enough to make a groove..

First of two jigs today. There is a bench dog, just under the plane, the “black” wood is rough sawn on the other side, more grip that way. Takes a few trips with the plane to get to about 3/8” deep..

Once all three boards were through the jig, I could at least size the fourth board’s width . It was resawn down a bit. It becomes the drawer’s back. Ok, I have the groove for the bottom to sit in, need a dado for the back to reside in. Some like this…

That cutter there will go into the 45. The dado is about 3/4” wide. And 3/8” deep. First I needed a jig..

Jig #2. One block is attached to the vise, once it is tightened down, the bar is added to keep the board from flipping up out of the jig. The 45 needed some “spurs”

Going across the grain, this cut the wood ahead of the main cutter. I also added some saw cuts..

On the “exit” side were two cuts, to keep any blowouts at bay, not very big cuts. On the entry side

A little extra, since that was going to break out, at least I could control how wide it got. Then it was a matter of pulling the plane backwards a few (4-5) times ( to let the spurs work) and then push forward enough times that the depth stops bottom out..

Note at the back of the plane, where the skate is showing. Results?

Reset the jig, and do the other drawer’s side. getting things about ready for a glue up ( I also had to cut a plywood “bottom” for this drawer..twice)....(first was about 1/8” too wide)..

So, here are four of the five parts for a drawer, clamp it up with some glue..

That “gap” earlier?

Needed a bit of chisel work..

I always bevel the bottom back corner, makes starting the drawer easier….let the glue cure for a few hours…

After a Pizza Hut supper….BURP….I went and removed the clamps, did a bit of hole filling with sawdust and glue….

Tried the fit of the drawer into it’s new home….nada? Ok, the one corner post was too thick, stood proud of the plywood side panel. Removed the excess there…try again…meh…sides of the drawer had ..”waves” about like this~ so, Jumbo had to take them out..

Stanley No. 5-1/2. made a mess on the floor..

But the sides of the drawer were soon flat. A little sanding here and there, and a final test fit..

And, until there area couple knobs in place, this is as far as the drawer will get push it. Later, I coat the drawer side’s bottoms with wax, so the drawer will slide easy. One drawer is done…next?

Well I got down the next 1×8 x 8’ plank, and crosscut it. These are for the front and two sides, resawn to the correct height. front is at the correct length. Will take jumbo along all three boards at the same time. The this entire mess of dovetails, grooves, and dados gets repeated again. Stay tuned, if you get bored…

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use



2 comments so far

View Festus56's profile (online now)

Festus56

1825 posts in 980 days


#1 posted 01-29-2017 05:42 AM

I am still reading Bandit, good job !!

-- Mark -- Really we're not crazy, just "Limited Editions" -- http://www.jmh-limited-editions.com/home.html --

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4185 posts in 1957 days


#2 posted 01-29-2017 08:18 AM

Looks like you have been very busy Bandit.

-- Regards Robert

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com