LumberJocks

Shop storage projects #12: Web-Frames, part 1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 01-20-2017 02:51 AM 564 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 11: Dresser build: side #2 is done.. Part 12 of Shop storage projects series Part 13: Case work.... »

Mainly setting up jigs and stops..and more jigs. Had a lot of parts to make, and half of them had to look like this, on one end. The trick was how to get them all done…quickly..

This is what I needed to make…times 24. I had 12 short rails that needed a tenon on both ends. This one was done the old, slow way. Needed something a little bit faster, and..have them all match each other. I used the “prototype” to help set a couple stops on the mitre box.. mainly the depth stops

just under the saw guide, there is a brass stop. I loosen the set screw and raised the stop up to where I needed it to be. Front and back guides have these stops. I set the saw on the tenon of the prototype, then adjusted the guides and stops to where the saw will not cut into the tenon. I also needed a “stop block” so I could slide the next part in, make the cut, and go right to the next cut..

Just a scrap of pine, screwed in place. Biggest thing was to keep the saw dust from scooting things back. Finally made all 46 cuts…..Elbow was a bit tired. There wasn’t a way to use the mitre box for the cheek cuts, however.

Had a re-saw jig on the bandsaw. Reset that so the waste fell to the right of the saw blade…

Slide a rail in with the rig, make the cut, waste falls to the side, rotate or flip the rail, and do it again. Then stack the finished rail with the rest of them..

So, counting the prototype ( which also got some of this work done) there are now 24 tenons. The other end of these 12 rails looks just the same. Tenons made, now I need a place to put them.

Dug up an old jig, from a few years back. It did need an “update” of sorts. Two pieces were too tall now. Removed them, and made two the right height. Spacing was too wide…..

Clamped a long rail between the two new side pieces, Re-drilled a few screw holes, and added the “base” for the jig. Jig was then installed on the bench top, right over a leg ( to reduce any “bounce”)

So, how does this jig work? I place a long rail between the sides, and use a pair of ViseGrips Finger clamps to hold the rail in place. I could then take one short rail, trace out where the tenon was on to the rail’s edges. I marked which short rail went where on the long rails. And used the short rail to check for fit.

First off, I needed to a bit of saw work..

Saw is at an angle, as I didn’t want to over cut too much. I stayed just inside the lines, better too tight than too loose a fit. Next up, a bit of chisel work..

A Mortise chisel ( sized to match) chopped down at the far end. Then i just popped the waste out. Wider chisel to help clean things out, and fine tune the fit….if needed..

Sometimes, I do get lucky. Then I can release the clamp, turn the rail end for end and do it all over again.
Jig will hold a completed frame with ease..

So I can check for square, if need be. Each frame needs four mortises done…takes a bit of time, as I wnt a good, tight fit. No gaps. I also cut a few “Kickers” to go along with the frames.

Kickers? These are 1×2s set to the underside of the frames. They are they to keep a drawer from tipping down when the drawer is opened. usually one dead center on a frame will do.

Unlike the rails, these will get a screw and spot of glue on each end. The connects for the rails will be glued and nailed in place. Will need to drill a few mounting holes into the short rails. Frames are screwed to the sides of the case, right in the rails in the sides. No wood movement to worry about, that way.
Well, today started about 1130 in the morning, and ended after 3 pm. Long day, and this was all I got done…

Just half of the frames are sitting there. I need to get the rest done, so I can clear the bench off. THEN I can do some assembly. Been a long day/week, but things are starting look up. So, stay tuned for “Part 2” of the frame story…

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use



2 comments so far

View Miataguy's profile

Miataguy

133 posts in 1031 days


#1 posted 01-20-2017 12:59 PM

Very nice work, cannot wait to see it tomorrow!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4219 posts in 1960 days


#2 posted 01-25-2017 11:00 PM

Looks good,...However I am not sure about the health aspects of stacking woodwork on the wifes washing machine though, she may get a bit agitated!

-- Regards Robert

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com