This the continuation of : http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40359#reply-477310
I already have long post about my adventures with this Powermatic 60 jointer.
I have quite a bit more work to do on it in addition of repairing and re-installing the out feed table and all the following adjustments, this is why I create the blog.
There is number of things I noticed on this jointer that ti want to modify/change improve on.
#1 the easiest one; replace the defective and unsafe switch with a paddle type safety switch. I also could relocate it but I do not think that with a paddle this is necessary.I should receive the switch today.
#2 Remount and possibly relocate the motor. The motor mount plate is a disaster: to adjust the V-belts tension ,you need to get under the machine where the cap-screws are. Without tipping the machine over or turning it up-side down I do not know how to do it. I am sure tha there is a better way but for now I did not spend the time to find it. In addition when I opened the cover , the motor compartment was full of wood chips, which is not good and not safe. There is really nothing to prevent the wood chips from falling from the cutter head thought the wide opening for the V-Belts. Someone replaced the motor and to do that cut, with a cutting torch, huge hole in the plate. The mounting plate is practically junk.
On the newer model the motor is mounted upside down under the chip chute. I am might try to do the same thing on an articulated plate which at the same time will help to tension the belts.
#3 replace the cutting heat with an spiral one, probably Shelix. The main reason for that is the ease to “replace” cutters if damaged.
To replace and adjust knives if just too much of pain in my rear end. In addition if one knife is damaged, all three are damages , with the cutter this is no longer necessarily true.
#4 I have to do some cosmetic work on the machine, someone splashed cement all over one side of it.