So since I finished shaping the legs and horizontal rails, the huge task of cutting all the joinery has begun. It may not be obvious from the pictures I’ve shown so far, but the surfaces that the vertical slats mate into is sloped by about 2 degrees. That slope is just enough to make the tenons difficult to cut.
I don’t have a mortising machine, so I chopped them using my drill press and hand chisels.
Here are the vertical slats I started out with:
I cut the tenon shoulders with the table saw. On two sides, I set my miter gauge to +/- 2 degrees and referenced off my fence. For the last two sides, I set the miter gauge to 90 degrees and kept the stock from touching the fence so I didn’t destroy the angled cuts on the other sides. After I cut the shoulders, I removed the waste on my router table:
To finish up the tenons, I had to go back to my chisel and mallet and finish them by hand:
And here’s the finished product:
Only another 100 or 200 to go!