LumberJocks

Dresser / Chainging Station

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Andrew updated 678 days ago 5 parts 4863 reads 1 comment total

Part 1: Planning

709 days ago by Andrew | 0 comments »

Another project for the nursery is a changing station / dresser. I will be using the same material, sassafras and ash, as the crib. I initially was planning on doing only a changing station with open shelves underneath and maybe one small drawer at the top, but we decided to go with the full drawers to use it as a dresser afterwards. I’m not sure yet on how I will do the drawers, if they will be inset or not. They will be on hardwood rails, using white oak scraps from the kitchen cab...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Face Frame

709 days ago by Andrew | 0 comments »

I had practice with face frames during the kitchen project and got pretty decent at it. I use a Kreg pocket screw jig and face frame clamp for this style. The cabinets had a frame around the outside without the intermediate rails. That made it a bit more challenging, but it wasn’t too bad. I used one piece of wood so I could make the length cut in one pass in order to make sure they were all the same length. One thing about sassafras – when you work with it, the smell is...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Progress!

702 days ago by Andrew | 0 comments »

Have been busy since the last entry, wedding, getting new windows ordered, Bradley class, phew! Made some progress on the dresser last night. Most of the more time consuming cuts were done. I needed to cut 1/2” plywood to use for the floors in the drawer holes. I wanted to use plywood so I could place a runner in the middle of the shelf for the drawer to slide on. I’ll also put some sliders on the ends of the drawers as well. The sliders will be made from some scrap white oak. ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Drawer slides, base and back

695 days ago by Andrew | 0 comments »

Made some more progress on the dresser last night. Installed the hardwood drawer slides, back and base. I was concerned about the base having 45 degree miters, as I have never really had too much success with miters. The front base is a three piece base. Since I was concerned about the miters being accurate, I wanted to have the flexibility of creating the middle run separate. This worked out OK, but not as well as I wanted it to. Some sanding will help alleviate noticeable cracks and ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Almost ready for finishing

678 days ago by Andrew | 1 comment »

Worked for the past couple of days on the dresser. I have it to the point where it is almost ready for finish. Need to do some sanding and final tidying up. Dovetail drawers, sassafras pulls – decided on two pulls and an ash top. I used ash for the drawers planed down to 1/2” and white oak scraps for the drawer slides. I used a Rockler dovetail jig to do the joinery on the drawers. Next time, I think I will do half blind dovetails directly to the face of the drawer. These d...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase