LumberJocks

Potato/Onion Bin #4: 90 percent done...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by airfieldman posted 578 days ago 1932 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Progress report: Initial glue up Part 4 of Potato/Onion Bin series no next part

I got a lot of work in this weekend. I learned a lot too. As I’ve stated, I don’t work with plans. This causes the need for one of two things, or both: good foresight / planning (plans are nothing, planning everything – Dwight D. Eisenhower) and/or good woodworking skills to overcome lack of the former. Sadly, I have neither. This means I incorporate two other assets: patience, and acceptance of imperfection.
The first actions were to cut, miter, etc. and glue the front edging:

Not perfect, but sanding will correct. I quickly learn that will be my motto. Here are some detailed pictures of the edging:


Those are just the dry fit. For the glue up I used every clamp I own:

Not a lot of clamps, I know. I need to invest in those. But for the time being, those worked.
From there, I ready to start on the drawers; again, pretty straight forward. Simply measure the opening and the depth, joint, rip, dado, glue, clamp.

To get the corner square I used a jig I saw somewhere (here or Pinterest…don’t remember which)

I neglected to take pictures of the glue of for the curved walls. Don’t ask me why. They were a big challenge. To provide sufficient pressure, I built a jig which is almost exactly the opposite of the one above. This one had the 90° cut into it, with a radius opposite. I simply clamped the curved walls, over the front/bottom, to the jig. Worked like a champ.

At this point I glued the top and the piece between the top and the upper lid. (no pics.) Gluing that angled piece was also a challenge, but evidently I persevered.

So, now I have the frame and the drawers. The lid was a challenge. Several angles needed to be mitered. In the end, it came out almost perfect.

After much sanding and re-cutting, and throwing away and starting over, I was pleased. The only imperfection was that it isn’t quite long enough.

Even still, I was pleased. From there I needed to cut the dados for the hinges. The first one I tried by hand. Great idea, poor execution. :-) I’ll spare you the pictures, but suffice to say that I needed to sand a bit. For the other two I set my router table to work. Much happier with these results.

Funny thing about that picture is that the grain lines up so nicely, and I’m going to paint this project. And I never paint wood.
Now, I implied that was a simple process, but it was anything but. If you look at the close up you’ll notice a small line above the dado. That is how deep the cut should have been. That is how deep I set my fence to. What I didn’t realize at the time was that my fence is not square. So, when I had the face of the drawer against the fence snuggly, the bottom of it was exactly 1/8 inch closer to the bit. Because of this I had to install, scratch my head, remove, measure, correct, re-install. (please refer back to the first paragraph…).

I also used the router for the hand holds to open the drawers. Very happy with these.

There a few other examples of this type of difficulty, but I won’t bore you anymore. In the end, I was happy with the progress.

Now the only thing left is to attach the back, give a final sanding and apply the paint. Probably done this weekend.

-- Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut it with a chainsaw.



1 comment so far

View crashn's profile

crashn

518 posts in 1100 days


#1 posted 578 days ago

reminds me of my first few projects!

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase