LumberJocks

Amateur Hour #2: Nice weather = Not working in shop!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by agartzke posted 08-09-2010 04:30 PM 842 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Mortise and Tenon Joinery Part 2 of Amateur Hour series Part 3: Dirty, dirty... »

Well, perhaps it was foreshadowing or some fancy trick, but I mentioned in my first (and last) post that the weather was starting to turn nice. I should have kissed the idea of woodworking over the summer goodbye right then… lucky for me I got the bug to start up again a bit earlier than expected.

I spent maybe 12 hours in the shop over the two days of the weekend. It’s time to start finishing the projects that I have started, and to my chagrin, that total is currently four (yes, 4). I have almost completed my daughter’s table and chairs in Walnut. And have barely started my wife’s Maple/Bubinga tressle table desk, as well as a bloodwood picture frame for my “apocolypse” painting. Last one on the list is a recreation of Wood Works Tool Cabinet, by David Marks. This is the one I’ve spent the most time on this weekend.

If any of you have NOT had a chance to see Wood Works, you need to go to DIY Network or YouTube and check it out. It’s a great show, and probably where I learned the most about woodworking.

So I chose to use the same wood as the show, mainly because I was inspired to do it after coming across some resaw scraps of Koa at my local hardwood dealer. I managed to secure plenty of 3/8” stock, and have some left over. NOT a cheap wood! But man, is it beautiful. So using the doors, I figured, if I can spend that much on the doors, the rest better be up to snuff – hence the East Indian Rosewood handles and solid Cherry (with the bottom being curly cherry) case.

This weekend, I was able to get a lot done, as my wife took the kids off my hands, especially on Sunday. I had already edge-glued and rough sized the door panels, and now had to build the case. That took most of the day, as I spent much of that time milling the rough Cherry. Finding out that I just wasn’t going to have enough width for the top and bottom, I very belatedly decided to mill some more wood and make some panels. As luck would have it, THAT is when I found that one of my rough boards was a gem of Curly Cherry. Beautiful grain swirls running down the length of the board. That’ll work!

A couple other highlights:
  • Used my biscuit joiner for the first time – nice!
  • Found out my crosscut sled was slightly out of square – not nice! (rigged it with a French curve shim)
  • Cherry is a fantastic wood to work. Very smooth, if not a little bit burn prone.
  • Built two jigs – 1) the mortising jig for slip tenons, and 2) the shelf pin indexer.
  • Hate my crappy little drill press, and reconfirmed that I need a new one.
  • Squared and sized sides, tops and doors.

Now that I write it all down, that seems like a lot for 12 hours!

Anyways, there’s not too much remaining – cutting some bevels, groves, dados for the doors and back. Sand the heck out of it. Finish! (planning on using many padded on coats of General Finishes top coat).

I will certainly post the pics when it’s wrapped up.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase