LumberJocks

Garden Chair

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Zuki updated 04-05-2010 10:00 PM 9 parts 30307 reads 25 comments total

Part 1: The Story & the Start

03-06-2010 01:02 AM by Zuki | 6 comments »

Hey all. I have not blogged much in a while now, but now I have a project that I call Garden Chair. DW had this wooden chair given to her a few years ago. She loved the chair and used it out in the garden when she got a few spare moments to enjoy nature. Well after years of being outside it got a little worse for wear and started coming apart. She asked if I could put is back together for her to use as well as make one for her to use in the house. So there you have it . . . a project....

Read this entry »


Part 2: Roughing it

03-07-2010 12:03 AM by Zuki | 1 comment »

Here is the chunk of wood I purchased to build the chair. 8bf of 8\4 poplar = $35. I ran it through the planer and jointed the edges and voila. I had a smaller piece of 8/4 already so I roughed out the front legs from that. For the rear I hacked off a piece and ran it through the BS. The rear legs were 1 1/8 wide . . . odd sizing. After giving the dimensioned board a scuff with the sander to remove the BS marks, I penciled out the legs and roughed them out on the...

Read this entry »


Part 3: More Roughing

03-08-2010 01:18 AM by Zuki | 2 comments »

Spent a couple of hours in the shop today. I sketched out some of the parts of the chair -parts that go under the seat and attach to the legs . . . aprons I guess. These attach in a different way than I am used to. I will cover that later. I used the BS (no trance this time) to cut them out. Normally when using the BS I cut the pieces about 1/16 larger and then use a template (made from the original part) and my template bit on the router table to get the part to its appropriate si...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Seating for One + OUCH!

03-14-2010 07:51 PM by Zuki | 5 comments »

I did a little work on the seat today. I rough cut the wood to length. It is 1 7/8 thick and the seat on the original is 1 ¼. I did the initial cutting with the TS slowing inching the blade taking deeper and deeper cuts until I got to the maximum depth. Then over to the BS to get rid of the remaining section holding the two pieces together. While using the BS the blade kissed my finger . . . well a little more than kiss. I am so very happy that I had my gloves on as the damage w...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Last bit of roughing

03-19-2010 12:19 AM by Zuki | 3 comments »

I was off today so I got a couple of hours in the shop. My first task was to attach the two pieces of the seat together. I used my “homemade” glue and pocket screws. The last time I made a chair I used pocket screws to hold the seat together; however I failed to consider the top of the chair being scooped out. This time I measured where the screws were going and then measured the depth of the indent on the model chair. I set the pocket screw depth for the finished seat. You may be abl...

Read this entry »


Part 6: The Seat – Part 1

03-19-2010 11:04 PM by Zuki | 3 comments »

Now that the seat is all set up its time to form it. I placed the old seat right over the new one as a template. I then sanded the edges with the ROS with various grits (40, 80, 120) to get it smooth. Using the original seat for measurements I marked out where the seat is to be scooped. The arrows indicate the direction of the slope. I do not have a “seat scooper” so I will be using a plunge router making numerous deepening passes and chisels to make the rough shape of th...

Read this entry »


Part 7: The Seat - Part 2 (Finished)

03-21-2010 06:38 PM by Zuki | 3 comments »

I scooped out the chair seat today. The first three pics you can see the scooping that was on the original chair . . . it got deeper as it went back and shallower towards the rear. I chucked up my ¼ spiral upcut bit in my plunge router and set it to 1/16 and made an “outline” of what needed to be cut. That black mat under the seat is some leftover non-slip matting used for tool chests. I then switched the spiral for a ½ straight sit bit. After following the outline I drop...

Read this entry »


Part 8: The Back Revisited

04-04-2010 11:34 PM by Zuki | 2 comments »

I was initially going to make the back of the chair straight, however upon closer inspection I noticed the back of the model chair was curved. I went back and purchased another smaller piece of poplar for the back. After I planed and jointed the edges I sketched out the curve for the back. I fired up the BS with the original 3/8 6T blade and it would go nowhere so I decided to install my ½ 3T blade. What a difference in cutting . . . holy cow. It was a little rougher than the small...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Still at the back

04-05-2010 10:00 PM by Zuki | 0 comments »

Back at the back today. I started by drilling out the mortises for the back of the chair. A few minutes with a sharp chisel and they were cleaned up. Next I formed the vertical pieces. Pull saw and sanding made a decent replica of the original. I clamped up the upper back piece so that I could round over the top front edge. I chucked up a round over bit in my Mastercraft plunge router and no go. It would not run. Darn it. I gotta dig up the receipt and bring it back. Tha...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase