MIL Vase #2: A frustrating moment . . . or two

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Zuki posted 11-14-2009 09:44 PM 1048 reads 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: What is she looking for? Part 2 of MIL Vase series Part 3: Done and done »

A beautiful day today. Sunny and 5 degrees. A great day for in the shop.

I ripped the band sawn pine into 1 5/8 strips to use as the vase base. I wanted mitred corners so I broke out the mitre saw, set the angle to 45, set up a stop block and started cutting. When I had them cut I laid them together on the bench . . . the angle was not 45 . . . it was less and it left me with a fair gap in one corner. I was not impressed.

At this point in time DW needed some crushed stone and topsoil moved. The physicial exercise calmed my nerves.

When I went back I did some fooling around with the saw and got it cutting on 45s. I managed to save the first pieces by using them for the top of the base plate.

After using my Kreg to hold the “frames” together I popped a 45 ¼ bit in the router and took a bit off each frame. I then screwed the frames together to make the base.

I then attached some poplar to the base so that I could attach the sides of the vase.

A test fit of 2 sides

-- BLOG -

1 comment so far

View Russel's profile


2199 posts in 3362 days

#1 posted 11-14-2009 11:34 PM

Looks to be coming along. I’m curious what you’ve got in mind for the final look.

-- Working at Woodworking

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics