In my last blog entry I mentioned that I was going to be busy the rest of the month of April and it’s been worse than I even imagined. I have been stealing away time to work on the bed that realistically should have been finished two weeks ago. So here is an update on the queen size A&C style bed I’ve been building.
I stained everything this week as well as putting on the coat of glaze and then a coat of wipe on poly.
Today I put about four hour into assembling the head and foot boards. Is it me or is the most stressful part of woodworking the glue up. I had a solid plan and executed it exactly as I practiced it during the dry assembly and it still feels like you are on a run to beat the clock. At least it’s a good stress and not like getting shot at feels like in a combat zone.
The square dowels that I used in the drawbored mortise & tenon joints did work well and turned out nice. It pulled everything in tight and the walnut gives a nice contrast to the QSWO.
The plan for tomorrow is to attach the top to the head and foot board and cut mortises into the bed rail and head and foot board for the knock down hardware.
I will be leaving town with my wife on Thursday and going to Oxen Hill, MD so that she can attend a Veterinary conference there. I will be relaxing by the pool and reading books for three days. I hope to be able to finish the bed and post the pictures before I leave. Cheers
-- Head to the shop its calling you – Todd