LumberJocks

Yet another DIY dust separator cyclone

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Gary updated 07-30-2012 12:26 PM 7 parts 48257 reads 4 comments total

Part 1: Overview

07-30-2012 01:07 AM by Gary | 2 comments »

Here’s a picture of my cyclone dust separator shop vac: I used three different sizes of chlorine buckets from the pool supply store (we bought them full…), an ancient Craftsman shopvac, some scrap pvc tubing, a couple bought pvc fittings, a couple types of epoxy glue, an HF furniture moving dolly for the casters, a section of a pool vac hose which we’ve never used, and some plywood scraps. I studied all the cyclone designs I could find, many here on LJ, many on you...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Connectivity

07-30-2012 11:52 AM by Gary | 0 comments »

I won’t go into the construction details; this isn’t rocket surgery. Also, my build quality leaves much to be desired. As my old friend Charlie Osborn once said when he was working on my car with me, “it’s good enough for who it’s for.” Heres a shot of the ‘shop vac’ connection to the cyclone itself. The hose connecting the two components is one end of a pool vacuum hose that we have never used (we’ve got an automatic pool vac ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Cyclone lid

07-30-2012 11:59 AM by Gary | 0 comments »

The three bucket lids I used were mismatched to the buckets I had, but this led me to slice off the threaded part of the lids and rely on friction, gravity, and suction to maintain the structural integrity. It turns out this is quite sufficient and makes emptying both dust bins easier. I’ll probably add some bungee cords to hold things together when I get around to it. The 1-1/2” PVC coupler is epoxied to the bucket lid. I haven’t added any tubing below the lid alt...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The Cycone! (ta da!)

07-30-2012 12:07 PM by Gary | 0 comments »

Okay, this isn’t all that beautiful but it seems to work. I roughly sliced off the end of a piece of 1-1/2” PVC I had lying around, and roughly cut a hole in the side of the bucket. After epoxying the two together, I faired the end of the tubing inside the bucket to match the bucket side. Another happy accident was that the ID of the 1-1/2” PVC made a nice friction fit to the OD of the original shop vac hose. The hole pattern at the bottom of the cyclone bucket i...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Cyclone-to-dust bin connection

07-30-2012 12:10 PM by Gary | 1 comment »

Cut out the inside of a bucket lid, slip the cyclone into it, glue the two together with some leftover caulk. Bob’s my uncle.

Read this entry »


Part 6: The sacrificial ancient shop vac

07-30-2012 12:19 PM by Gary | 1 comment »

I decided to liberate the guts of the original Craftsman shop vac and replace the body with another chlorine bucket to make the entire package more compact. After all, the whole point of this exercise is so the main shop vac body sees very little debris. Eh? I cut out a bucket lid and sliced the top of the original shop vac to match and caulked them together. Easy peasy. I guess a few words about the vac hose connection to the body of the shop vac might be good. Cut a hole in th...

Read this entry »


Part 7: And finally, the woodworking part of the project

07-30-2012 12:26 PM by Gary | 0 comments »

You’ll forgive me for not making a Sketchup of this part. Scraps from the hoard plus casters from an HF furniture dolly. Gives the project a theoretical 1000# capacity – for when I start machining tungsten and depleted uranium, I guess. The HF dolly was only $8 with coupon and I have no clue where I might get a serviceable caster for $2/ea. I would like to point out, in defense of my woodworking practices, that I did break most of the edges. It’s the right thing to do...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com