I have been a big fan of LJ for a long while now and thought I would share some of my experiences with everyone. I recently (about a year ago) purchased a Jet cabinet saw, and I looked all over for information on building a Mobile base for it. I needed a mobile base because the space I have for my shop is only 1.5 car garage, and space is very much a premium. I found a lot of info on LJ and other sites for building mobile bases. I would like to share what I have done to make a great mobile base, so others would only need to check one place and save a lot of time.
My mobile base works great with the huge amount of weight of the saw (approximately 400 lbs), Mobile thickness planer (55lbs) and router all combined into one work station (see pictures) I recently renovated my basement and so that brought the cost of lumber down considerably by using the scrap 2×4’s & 2×3’s for the structure of the base.
This first picture shows the initial construction of the base that will be below the saw. each and every joint is glued with PL9000 and screwed. this part must be very strong and act as one piece. The box structure is 2×4’s on the outside and 2×3’s on the inside, this creates a lip that the saw will sit on. the box inner area is slightly larger than the base of the saw, to give some wiggle room when putting the saw into the box. Two 2×4’s on the sides are slightly longer to support the caster assemblies. The casters are set on 2×3’s, the casters are set up so they give a full range of motion, but as close to the box as possible. I waited 24 hours before I placed the saw into the box, just to give the glue time to set. Ok now to pick up the saw and put it into the box!!
I thought I would give my back a break and use leverage to get it into the box! What I did was, tilt the saw forward and shove a couple of 2X3’s under the saw. then I lined up the box in the front of the saw, then I push the saw backwards onto the 2×3’s and slide the box under the saw with one of my feet. Please note that this was very difficult and would be safer to do with a buddy…...unfortunately for me no buddy was around. After I shoved the box in as far as possible I wiggled it into the final position in the box.
Now to make it mobile.
These casters are 3.5” caster that each can support 500lbs, which basically means 2000 lbs can be supported here because the weight will be evenly (best case) distributed between the casters. When I went to get the casters I thought it would be good to have 3 with breaks on them, I have found over my time of using the saw though that it does not move, only when I put enough pressure on it does it start moving across the floor, could have done without the breaks and save the money. The trick with getting these caster assemblies on was to lift the saw and box up. Again I will use leverage, I tipped the saw to the side and shoved a couple of pieces of 3/4” plywood under the one side, then the same for the other. This work very well and made adjustments of the caster assemblies very easy. Again I glued (PL9000) and screwed these on too and waited 24 hours.
As the glue was drying I assembled my router extension and cut the 2×4’s & 2×3’s that I would be needing for the base extension. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of my router extension assembly but I could discuss it if anyone would like.
Here is the initial assembled extension. I have added corner brackets on the left side of the extension to give it stability when moving the work station around. Every joint is glued and screwed.
I will add more to this Blog (just tired of sitting here typing) with my mobile work station add-ons for my Planer, Dust collector connections and router. Please feel free to comment on this, maybe there will be something I can add to this that I never thought of!