I figured I would make a blog that gave one starting point for everything I’ve done so far with the microscope. I did some testing today and I think that I can make my metallurgical scope work for wood. So, as per Blakes request, I will try and get various stages under the scope.
But first, links to the first two in the saga.
I had to do some rework on the microscope during lunch today so that it would handle a surface that is mostly non-reflective. A traditional microscope passes light through a sample. A metallurgical microscope reflects light off of the metal, and that is what I see. So it works really good for a chisel, and not to shot for a rough cut piece of timber. Since I couldn’t use the internal light, I had to mount a LED luxeon lamp to the outside to give a “glancing” light which seems to pick up the wood quite well. Below are a few test pictures.
All are pieces I grabbed off of a few pallets, so oak, maple, and pine. The pieces were either cut with my pocket knife, or simply pulled off. The pine knot is interesting as one side was embedded in the wood, while the other was cut.
This is the maple at 40X. Unfinished piece, rough cut with a pocket knife.
And the maple at 100X, due to the iregularities in the surface I had a hard time getting a good focus.
The oak at 40X, no clue what type of oak.
The oak at 100X.
This is the back side of the pine knot. All that is visible appears to be sap!
The back side of the knot at 100X.
This is the front side of the knot at 40X. It looked perfectly smooth, almost a sanded look to the naked eye. Though microscopic tearing is noticable at this magnification. It became rather featureless at 100X magnification so I didn’t include it. The green is paint splatter from a marking operation.
There it is folks, more to come in the future.
-- Casey, Engineer, Escanaba, MI