It’s been a while since I last updated the blog, but I ran out of time to sort out & upload the photos.
Those of you who saw my last blog, will know that the ground gets a ‘little’ wet during bad weather.
After the foundation went down, it was time to start on the base, because of the constant risk of flooding, I went for a raised base. A good dollop of muck, 18 concrete blocks and 5 6×3 later and I had at last started. It was beginning to feel ‘real’. Up till then it was just a big hole in the ground that I had poured an awful lot of concrete into.
The walls were prefabricated which really helped put it together quickly. As you can see I raised the height of the walls by 2 and a half feet. I wanted to have a little loft space and as the walls originally were only 7 foot, it felt a little too claustrophobic for me to feel happy to work in.
My son and his mate were drafted in to service. The sides were very heavy, at 20ft by 9.5ft there was a lot of lumber to haul about.
I drafted in a couple of extra helpers but one of them, Roy, was too busy looking good to help much, still it was nice to see him. I know it looks a little tacky, but the old membrane was going to be replaced, so I was not too worried. And I was working to a budget after all.
With the sides up the roof went together fast. My son is a professional Roofer, and going from fitting the trusses to the membrane only took about an hour. Fixing the steel sheeting for the roof took a little longer, but it only took a weekend and it was up, locked down and very stable.
The following weekend was spent filling in the missing cladding. I moved the double doors down and made a new set of windows above. You can never have enough natural light.
Next time I’ll cover the Insulation, internal cladding
-- Keep your tools sharp, your mind sharper and the coffee hot