Since my last entry I have spent one and a bit days working on the bench.
This has involved sizing the verticals, cutting the tenons on the ends of the verticals and cutting the mortice for the stub tenon in the stretchers.
Sizing the verticals was done on the jointer, table saw and thicknesser. The jointer was used to get two side straight and at right ankles to each other. The dimension for the width of the vertical (that is from the side, not the end) required that it be about six millimetres (about 1/4”) less than the width of the rails. But the depth could be as big as the stock would allow. Because of this there was a substantial amount of material that needed to be removed to get the prescribed width (rails minus 6mm). So it was decided that rather than make mulch out of this we would use the table saw to remove it. First though I used the thicknesser to create a consistent thickness to the piece so the off cut would be consistent too. Using the table saw I was able to remove this in one pass. The result of all this is I have some 8mm x 80×1500 lengths of New Guinea Rosewood to use on a box or something.
The sizing continued by running the 4 verticals through the thicknesser to get a consistent depth to all of them. Lastly they were cut to length using the cross cut sled and a stop block.
The verticals incorporate half of two different mortice and tenon joints. These are the tenons to attach the verticals to the rails, top and bottom; and the mortice to house the stub tenon on each end of the two stretchers.
The tenons on all four verticals were marked out and then the shoulders cut on the table saw with a cross cut sled and stop block. The length wise cuts for the tenons were done using the bandsaw and a back rest set at the depth of the shoulder. Because all shoulders are the same depth all four cuts on each tenon were cut this way. So now, except for a bit of clean up paring the tenons were done.
The stretchers are positioned high enough to give the necessary strength but low enough to be used as a shelf. The measurement I came up with is 250mm from the floor to the bottom of the rail. The rail will be 69mm wide by 125mm high, with a ledge on the inside of each to take the shelf. The shoulders of the stub tenon will be 23mm on the top, bottom and the sides, with the tenon being 15mm long.
To cut the mortice for this tenon, I marked the position of the mortice on the face of the vertical with a mortice guage and marking knife. I then drill it out to 17mm deep using a 20mm forstner bit. These holes were then cleaned out using a hollow chisel morticer. The top and bottom shoulders of these mortices will get their final cleanout with a paring chisel because getting these in perfect allignment is essential because they allign the stretcher.
Last thing today, I marked the position on the reverse side of the mortice in the vertical for the tensioning bolt to be drilled into the back of the mortice.
Sorry no photos. Nothing all that interesting to photograph anyway. I am hoping by the end of my next full day, the stretchers will be done, and a dry fit of the rails, verticals and stretchers will be behind me as well. At a guess, I think I am a bit less than half way there.
Let the chips fly. Be well.
-- Living is a constant gamble, life is about working the odds in your favour