After some advice from other wise lumberjocks I decided to flatten the top by sanding it with my belt sander instead of trying to pull it flat with angle iron. It still has a very slight sag in the middle but it’s hardly noticeable and won’t affect the function of the table. I doubt the customer will ever notice unless they pour a glass of water into the middle of the table to see which direction it goes.
I sanded it to 220 and then went back and filled a couple small bubbles in with more epoxy. I’ve given up on getting every single one of the bubbles but I did get most of them filled in. Then I sanded it again.
Then I put the first coat of conversion varnish on it using a sponge brush on the top. I tried doing the sides and in the crevices but I couldn’t get in there very well so I’ll have to spray those.
The legs are made of poplar and I only sanded them to 120. I used a water-based GF white wash stain on them which I think came out pretty awesome. I was looking for something white that would still show the grain and I’m really happy with the result.
My wife sketched the basic design of the legs and I used her sketch as inspiration. Some of the things that she put into the drawing would have made it really difficult to make and I had to be realistic.
Since it was a water based stain and I need to go back over and it sand it again now that the stain raised the grain. Then I’ll spray a lacquer or something on it to give it a nice satin sheen and more protection.
Here’s a shot of the last dry fit I did before I started finishing it last night. I’m really happy about the way it’s turning out aside from a few small mistakes.
-- Create something everyday.