Again, after much research and finding what I thought I would need and use, I decided to make the cabinet from poplar and mdf. The joinery is raised panel construction for the sides and back and straight pocket hole joints on the front. I knew I wanted to leave about an inch overhang of the top, so the dimensions are roughly 22” x 34” and 34”high(including the top). The pocket holes were so easy and very strong. The first picture I show using some leftover weather striping for a cushion of the panel sitting in the rails and stiles.
This is one of the side panels on the bottom and the back panel during glue up. Only the frame is glued together leaving the raised panel(s) to “float”. The back was a little tricky, but it was mainly a matter of having the clamps ready.
I didn’t show just the front put together, but it was done with all pocket screws. Here are the sides back and front assembled using pocket screws.
Next is the cabinet with 1/2” birch ply in the bottom sitting on 1×2 supports screwed to the cabinet. I know it adds more wood to the project, but I wasn’t quite ready to screw this up by trying to cut dados in the cabinet. I used 3/4” mdf in the middle and inside box that encloses the router attached to more poplar supports which are attached using pocket screws.
Here is the switch I bought for $28 at the local Rockler dealer. I thought I heard about cheaper switches but couldn’t find one. I’m okay with this, the wiring is solid and the switch is heavy duty. I unwired it in order to put the wires through as small a hole as possible. You can just see where the outlet wire goes into the side and it also shows up on the previous picture secured to the inside of the cabinet.
Here is a shot from the back to show the panels.
Here is the router compartment, I need to secure the cable a little better on the other side, maybe with a velcro strap or something easily undone.
I actually used the router attached to the table top but temporarily set on another table with the top cut out in order to cut the rails, stiles and raised panels. I also used a temporary fence, which worked okay, but I’m excited to make a much better and solid one.
-- - In the end, everything will be okay. If it isn't okay, it isn't the end yet.