Spent a good portion of the daylight in the workshop.
I’m finishing up the last bench for the set of back porch benches. I took my time, getting one thing at a time done, not trying to finish the whole project, just one task at a time. The slat supports were installed with a minimum amount of fuss ( Miller dowel joinery, but I’m considering going to just straight dowels ), then I ripped a 2×6 down to 1/2” slats. While the initial cross cut was a bit exciting ( I didn’t have enough support on the cutoff side, so there was some binding toward the end of the crosscut ), the ripping portion went exactly as planned. I got 8 good slats out of the 2×6, which are now ready for some final routing (1/4” round-over on the top ), and the base is now ready for sanding and staining with the slats soon to follow.
After that, I spent some time getting some cuts done for Christmas presents. This year I’m making a passel of coat hanger holders. Here’s a picture of a prototype.
The rest are going to get red oak banding and red oak handles. This is a design I’ve wanted to try for years, and it’s servring two purposes – using up scrap and making a useful Christmas gift. The base is 3/4” cabinet-grade plywood ( 17” x 5” ), and the handles are 3/4” wood ( protoype I used plywood – the rest are going to be red oak ) with 17” uprights and 12” handles. I don’t currently plan on putting a finish on it, but my wife my have second thoughts on that ;-).
After lunch I spent some time correcting an error on a drill-press cabinet I put together. Turns oug the glides I installed on the drawer was upside down. No wonder it was having issues! Once that was finished, everything moved smoothly.
Vacuumed up a lot of sawdust, and felt the cool-front come through. Now it’s drizzly rainy, and I’m calling it a day. A very good day, where I took my time and a lot went right.
-- Making scrap with zen-like precision - Woodbutchery