Beautiful weather outside and after a hearty breakfast I went out to work on the router cabinet.
There was one other aspect of this project that I hadn’t mentioned before – try to use up as much of the wood that I have laying about the shop before having to go and buy any more.
And off we go.
Below is a shot of the exploded view of this plan. I want to place 2×6 on the bottoms to support the bottom shelf as I plan to put heavy things there (routers, sanders, blah blah blah) as much for a comfort factor as anything else. I’ll use 2x Miller dowels for this; probably overkill, again, but I like they way they work and I hope to use this for quite some time. Then cut the 1/2” plywood. Turns out I have to cut a notch in the bottoms to accomodate the back 2×2 I used to frame the case. For the plywood I intend to use brad nails to secure to the frame.
2×6 pieces cut and installed. The hardest part of this was drilling the holes for the dowels. I have to assume that the cold was affecting the batteries on the cordless drill, as I’ve never used up two batteries in one sitting like that before. Still, the pieces are solid in place. They’ll help hold whatever I end up putting in the drawer.
And the plywood is cut. I’ve put both boards front to front to show the two notches I cut with a jig saw.
A little cleanup, and then the install.
On the right side of the cabinet I ended up with a shorter piece of plywood. Since this isn’t about esthetics and that side will be used for the router equipment drawers (bits, wrenches, etc.) I wasn’t worried about it’s looks. Still, it didn’t come out that bad.
So. That completes the first phase. Next I’ll build a drawer for the bottom and install it.
Comments, as always, are welcome.
-- Making scrap with zen-like precision - Woodbutchery