LumberJocks

From wood butchery to wood workery #3: Getting closer without doing as much - that measure twice cut once stuff works!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Woodbutchery posted 04-25-2010 03:55 PM 1212 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Fortunate Accidents | getting things done Part 3 of From wood butchery to wood workery series no next part

So I’m on to the next project for my wife, a set of benches to fit around one nook of the back patio. After some discussion we settled on three benches, two approx. 5 foot and one 7 foot (Hurricanes here in Houston, when we get ‘em we turn the benches over so they present a low profile behind the brick wall).

I set up the design on Sketchup, then started the build.

A few things to note:

First, I replaced my old cross-cut sled with a new version. It’s simpler, sits to one side of the blade only, and I added an incra measureing/tbolt track which helps me create a quickly definable, easily repeatable stop. There are some issues with having the sled on only one side of the blade, but I’m working around most of them with a second “bed piece” on the other side of the blade the same height as the sled. I may someday re-design back to the initial “both sides the blade” approach, but that’s another project at another time. I’m pretty happy with the sled in it’s current incarnation.

Second, I finally built a router fence for my router-table. Again, nothing fancy, and there are versions of it all throughout this site, so no real need for pictures. I needed it for the 1/4” rounding of the bench slats. Who knew it’d be so useful (just everyone else on this site and a few million other people)?

The bench is made of yellow pine 2×4s. I’m going to write a blog (yes, with pictures) on the construction of the 7 footer, so I’ll spare the details of the build for now, but look for the blog in the coming month or so. I’ve used yellow pine for other benches and they work fine. While they may not hold up for decades of abuse as white oak or teak, the build is easy enough that it can almost be considered a weekend project (the build can be done in a weekend, the stain/finish takes a little longer ;-)).

If there is a point to this ramble, it’s that progress is being made. I didn’t have to re-design, significantly shift, or otherwise drastically modify my cuts, re-cut, or drastically trim any pieces. The bench ended up very close to my wife’s concept (at least I think it does), and it turned out to be pretty easy to build, so much so that I’m really looking forward to the putting the next two together as well as writing the blog up.

-- Making scrap with zen-like precision - Woodbutchery



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com