My time home for march was pretty busy so I didn’t get much done on my house. I went up and did the dreaded taxes and walked away with a grin, I will soon have money to do quite a bit. Along with stove to refurbish. when i did get to where I could get a few things done this is what happened.
First thing I wanted to do was put up the door that i hadn’t last month to the back porch and since it was going to rain and already had a couple times on me. I knew it needed to go up. I knew something wouldn’t go right though. low and behold….. it didn’t fit. the door was too wide. obviously the back porch door was never measured to fit a standard door. I already had my son trim the bottom, so I should’ve known, and guess what it started raining on me. The fix…..make it spring loaded for now. :)
and yeah that spring goes from one side to the other. it wont open. I will have to make a door to fit this hole in my wall. Next I took of part of the back porch wall that was to the house. to see what all was there, i was going to have to do it soon anyway before i could finish the interior on the back porch… so down came the wall.
It was cold Saturday night, the empty Kitchen window was the culprit…its temporarily boarded up.
First thing find where the extra switch went to in my bathroom. Well it turned on the F. Fan. That would’ve been fine except it cased a full bathroom power surge. That’s not good, so I took it out.
I spent 2 years as an Electrician awhile back. so here are some notes on that.
1. Have everything you need before you start. Tester, and a screw driver,wire cutter, wire nuts, and a cover plate. in this case.
2. Shut off your breaker. but do not just trust that. check with a tester and ensure that it has no power, in the case of a switch get a tester with 2 leads. a little light tester here works since the light will light up if there is power.
3. The problem here is that the 2 switches to this were not properly done. it has 2 separate power sources cause a surge through the entire bathroom. Unhook the switch. and trim off the exposed section of wire. place wire nuts on the ends of all wires. In a case like this all wires need covered since all will still be hot. Fold them back in neatly and place your new flat cover on.
4. Get up into your attic or take down your light from below and remove the non-switched wire and again trim and put wire nuts on the wire ends. Fold them in neatly and replace your light.
5. Turn your breaker back on and test your lights. you shouldn’t have a surge issue anymore, nor should it pose a fire hazard.
Switch problem fixed. Well its sunday around noon and im twiddling my thumbs not enough time or money to really get something started. except these leaves are every where. there are huge maples up and down the street and up the hill. I think every tree up the hill blows into my yard. and when i open this first door, into my shed. I wind up having a little cleaning spree around the front of my shed. then
ok this area is now clean, good but still tons inside.
this is the little front half of my shed and yeah was full of leaves and debris. got it all cleaned out and the wind started blowing again as I was sweeping it out. Talk about frustrating. now that door is locked and blocked so it wont be used. since there is another door hiding right to the actual front of the shed. but yeah had to clean it up too. then did a little demo both of these two front corners had shelves in them that i don’t need. so took them out so i could re-purpose the space. the Third one already had a nice long bench across it and has become my Sanding Station.
Sunday evening it does what it always does when it gets dark….got darker inside the shop. I wound up stealing a light from the shed since my dad took every single shop light when they moved.
Hey atleast i can now see at the tool bench.