It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on this project to I’d like to catch up with the progress. Last time I posted, another lumberjock mentioned a concern with a lack of diagonal bracing. I’ve been seriously looking into altering the design to make sure I cover this issue. I posted in the forum and received some pretty great feedback. Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/167994
So moving on, I needed to do some detail work the edges.
I used a chamfering bit to get a good consistent edge.
Using a slotting bit and a router I cut a 3/8” deep channel to accommodate the vertical slats
Next, I needed to drill some weep holes in the bottom to allow the channels to drain
I started the holes on the drill press to get them straight. I finished with the hand drill and a long bit.
I cleaned the top and bottom of the holes with a countersink.
To make the Joints as solid as a rock, I decided to use drawbores.
Laid out the holes.
Using my scrapped together setup, I drilled 3/8” holes with a bradpoint drill bit on the drill press.
I offset the holes on the tenons 1/16” towards the shoulder.
After 32 holes , it’s getting closer.
-- Christ was a carpenter...a fact that humbles and inspires me.