LumberJocks

Roubo Workbench Build

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Willeh updated 397 days ago 5 parts 7555 reads 18 comments total

Part 1: The beginning - Lumber, milling and laying out

472 days ago by Willeh | 2 comments »

I’ve often thought, especially while browsing some of the beautiful workbench projects that have been posted here, that building a masterpiece of a workbench is truly a rite of passage for a woodworker. I’ve been into woodworking for a few years now, with practically no background in the trade, and am self taught. (Save for 6 months of shop class back in grade 8.) I started out mostly as a power tool woodworker, but as i’m trying to achieve better results, I have been mov...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Legs Legs Legs! - Also details on my rip sled

450 days ago by Willeh | 1 comment »

While I know that everyone says you should only really mill as much wood as you can work with in a day, the reality of it is that the wood I bought for the bench is taking up my entire garage, so, while I have cut the wood for the top down to size, before I can really get much further on it, I needed to cut the material for the legs down to size, then move the rest that I wont need for this project to the storage shed. In my last post, I mentioned my rip sled and some of the comments (I be...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Looking for advice on vices - Also, progress with the top

444 days ago by Willeh | 8 comments »

While i’ve been progressing quite well with the top, i’ve been fighting myself on vice options. Unfortunately, I need to figure out what kind of end vice i’m going to go with before I finish gluing up the top so I don’t limit my options. I’ve glued up the back half of the top so far, and I really need to figure out the end/tail vice before i really go any further. Ive been fighting back and forth between two options: 1. Using something like a face vice o...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Slowly progressing.. discouraging?

434 days ago by Willeh | 3 comments »

Still at it.. Unfortunately I havent had much time to put into it over the past little while, but I’ve now planed and glued up the third of 4 sections of the top, and squared up the first 2 sections on the jointer ready to glue together. Found that I lost too much meat out of the width of the top and had to add in two extra boards to get back up over 20 inches wide… Think i’ve decided on the wagon vice.. I just love the way they look and function and I think it’l...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Milling, gluing and making the pieces - Done!

397 days ago by Willeh | 4 comments »

Well, finally getting somewhere! After weeks and weeks of milling, gluing, milling, gluing, milling gluing and so on, the parts are finally together! Since my last post, I got all of the leg and stretcher boards milled down, glued up, and planed down to final size, ready to go to start with the joinery and assembly. I also finally got the top together. I decided on doing a wagon vice on the top, and bought the lee valley vice hardware. The 17 boards that make up the top were glued into ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase