Cutting the tenons on the legs. I was really impressed with how well my new Japanese-style pull saw worked. I have never used this type of saw before and it tracked very well once you had an accurate kerf to guide it.
Here is one half done. I then used a chisel and a block plane to clean everything up. You will notice that even on the beveled sides of the tenon I left a little ledge just to ensure the top wouldn’t slide up the tenon if pushed upon…like from the leg vise! You see, I don’t intend to wedge or pin the tenons.
And here they are all cleaned up.
It is starting to look like a bench! You can see the cutout for the wagon vise.
They fit pretty good…not perfect but then neither am I…
One half of the top glued up. You can see I used every one of my hodge-podge of clamps.
Here are the two halves ready to be glued up. I took them back to the woodworking shop on WPAFB to run them through the sander. The two halves mate perfectly and the top should be perfectly flat.
Here is the complete top glue up. Now…I made a mistake here by only putting clamps on only one side. The top set up slightly bowed. So…though it killed me to do it…I cut it in half, ran both halves through the table saw to clean up the edges, planed off just a little from the center of each mating face, and glued it up again. This time I made sure to have clamps on both sides. All of this could have been avoided if I had another few hundred dollars in clamps!
The top is better now…just a little bow (the other way this time) but that can be cleaned up later. Behold! My upside down bench!
Next on to the stretchers…