I finished up the restoration work on the #3 I have been working on. Things have been going slow due to work and family commitments. I thought I would get the blog entry done this morning before heading out to the woodworking show. I’m taking my daughter and her boyfriend. It should be a lot of fun.
I also picked up a couple of items yesterday. My mother-in-law as been wanting a workbench for a while and I found one on craigslist yesterday. I love craigslist. The photos of the plane were take on her new bench. I’ll get to be it’s caretaker until she comes up from Arizona in June to get it.
On ebay I was able to get a Stanley 5 1/4 Junior Jack Plane. From the photos it appears to be new in the box.
Now all I need are the $20 #1 and #2 to complete my set of bench planes. Good luck, right?
To finish the plane, I needed to clean the hardware. I used my lathe with a drill chuck to hold the parts. I used abrasive blocks and a 320 grit abrasive foam pad to clean up every thing except the brass parts. To clean the brass nuts, I put them in the shorter handle post and mounted them in the lathe. I used cloth and semi-chrome polish to shine them up. Here are the results.
The next issue I needed to deal with was the broken handle. The break was very clean so I used PVA. I used a woodworking clamp to hold the handle. It worked well. Below are some photos.
Next I applied schallac to the jappaning and to the blued components (metal that holds frog adjustmet screw and back of chip breaker) and reassembled. I still need to sharpen and tune the plane. I’ll get you all a few photos to show how it cuts. This is how the plane turned out.
Next in line is a #4. Here is a preview…
-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov