I have not been working on this series or any real projects for that matter for quit a while. I have been working very long hours at my day job and really not feeling too motivated. Perhaps I caught some of that bug that was affecting Mot a bit back.
I have a nice early type 9 or so Stanley #4 I want to restore as part of the set I am putting together. You can go back to post one to see my overall plans if you want, but, iin a nutshell, I plan to assemble a complete set of old Stanley Bench planes. Number 1 to number 8 and all of the odd sizes in between.
I purchased the Stanlye #4 off of ebay a little while back. It has a broken tote, which is easy to repair and then upon further inspection I discovered that the blade adjustment knob is frozen. I’m not sure I will be able to repair it and I guess I may need to find a approprate parts plane and replace the frog.
Anyway last weekend, I was in woodcraft getting my father’s day present. I’ve shown pictures of it elsewhere, but will show a photo again here in the event you missed it.
It is a Lie-Nielson #1 and it is sitting next to my #8 to show the difference in size between the smallest and largest bench plane. While I was looking at the #1, I saw that Woodcraft had the #4s on sale and decided to screw the plans to have all old Stanleys and buy myself a birthday present (I had already conceded on the idea of original Stanley Bailey #1 and #2s because of cost). This was last Sunday. Tonight I grapped the WorkSharp and sharpened the blade and put the plane to work. Here are some photos of it in action. It is a sweet plane and the experience of making paper thin shavings makes it worth every penny.
I now have every plane in the series except for the #2. I’m guessing this will be another Lie-Nielson unless I get lucky along the way. I have restored the planes up through the #5. I have the 5 1/2, 6, 7, and #8 to go. Anyway have a great night.
-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov