LumberJocks

Bandsaw Box Bandit

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Walnut_Weasel updated 1839 days ago 5 parts 11225 reads 22 comments total

Part 1: My First Bandsaw Box

1848 days ago by Walnut_Weasel | 11 comments »

I have recently taken the first step into becoming a serious woodworker – spending more than $500 on a single tool. I competed in and won a “biggest loser” contest at work, raking in $650! Needless to say, after all of that hard work I felt the need to spoil myself so I went out and bought a Jet 14” closed stand bandsaw. This is the first project I have started with it. It is just a simple little bandsaw box that I cut out free-hand not paying much attention to get...

Read this entry »


Part 2: My Second Bandsaw Box - Day 1

1847 days ago by Walnut_Weasel | 3 comments »

Well today I began work on my second bandsaw box. I am going to make a box very similar to the first (see Bandsaw Box Bandit #1) but this time I have a few ideas to overcome some of the problems I encountered while making the first box. However, just 3 cuts in I realized the root cause of one of my problems. I began by cross cutting the board to proper length. Then I made the first arced cut to form the top of the lid. Finally I made a second arced cut to form the bottom of the lid. T...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Attempt #2, the saw is fixed

1845 days ago by Walnut_Weasel | 1 comment »

Well I finally made a trip to Woodcraft and purchased some zero-clearance made by Carter. All and all I am pretty happy with them. $10 for 3 inserts and they fit well. However what I quickly learned about zero-clearance inserts is that they do tend to impact the removal of saw dust. There was a LOT more dust on the table of the bandsaw than when I was not using the inserts; but overall they performed as expected. I have the box completely cut out and rough sanded and glued. All that i...

Read this entry »


Part 4: My Second Bandsaw Box - Day 1 Photos and Details

1844 days ago by Walnut_Weasel | 0 comments »

Here is something I tried out this time to get a nice tight fit between the curved lid and the box. It seemed to work out very well. First, I cut out the curved lid off of the box on the bandsaw – Self explanatory Then I sanded out all of the saw marks on the box with 80 then 100 grit. Then I turned that rough-sanded box into a sanding block by tightly wrapping a piece of 80 grit around it. Then I layed the lid on top of the box and sanded from side to side (hold you breath) AG...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Its all finished except the finish

1839 days ago by Walnut_Weasel | 7 comments »

Well I was finally able to finish my second box yesterday. That is, everything is finished but the finish… I went to Home Depot to get some clear oil, and for some reason the crappy depot here in our small town does not carry it! I knew I should have bought some when I was at Lowes earlier in the week! Oh and I still need to buy flocking for the inside. That is also impossible to find in this small town. I guess it is time to buy it online! I have also noticed that I need to wo...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase