Well today I began work on my second bandsaw box. I am going to make a box very similar to the first (see Bandsaw Box Bandit #1) but this time I have a few ideas to overcome some of the problems I encountered while making the first box.
However, just 3 cuts in I realized the root cause of one of my problems. I began by cross cutting the board to proper length. Then I made the first arced cut to form the top of the lid. Finally I made a second arced cut to form the bottom of the lid. This cut was made parallel to the upper lid cut…or so I thought. What I soon found out was that the lid was much thinner near the center on one side than the other. I quickly reached for my square; however found that the blade was a perfect 90 from the table. I placed a straight edge across the cuts I made thinking that the blade was deflecting due to over feeding but that also checked out. I was a bit perplexed. I decided to get out the broom and dust off the saw while I pondered over what could be happening. As I was dusting off the table, I realized that the throat plate that came with my saw stands proud of the table. As I made the arced cut toward the center of the block, less wood was resting on the throat plate resulting in the angle between the wood and the blade changing throughout the pass. Upon making the second cut more wood was resting on the plate meaning less of a change in angle and the two cuts becoming out of parallel. I removed the plate hoping that there was just a buildup of dust or a burr left from the casting of the table but instead what I found was that the plate was just of poor quality and slightly damaged to boot. So, the project is on hold until I can make a run to my local Woodcraft to purchase a set of zero-clearance plates – which I was planning to buy one of these days anyway!
Oh the fun of being a newbie!
-- James - www.walnutweasel.wordpress.com