Sorry it’s been so long between entries, two-a-day football practices sort of got in the way ;) I guess I’ll continue where I left off…
While I was waiting for my steel to arrive from McMaster- Carr I moved my attention to the infill. I had to slightly re-size and refine my original drawing to the final bed angle(50 degrees) and plan out exactly where I wanted the bolts and how the infill would fit in.
I used my new drawing to make some paper templates which I just glued right onto the padauk. From there it was a simple job for my bandsaw. After I had it glued up- I moved to rasps, files and sandpaper to finish up the tote and knob.
My newly built router lift came in very handy to mill the slot needed for a chipbreaker screw. Here is the knob and tote all finished up ready for the sides and sole-
By the time I was finished with the infill, my steel had come. I laid out where I wanted the bolts and drilled 10 holes on each side. The drill bit was somewhere between 3/16 and 1/4 so that I could tap quarter inch by 20 threads.
It took quite awhile but I got them all tapped. I brought out my trusty jb weld, mixed it up and just spread it around like a normal glue up. A couple dabs on the threads and along the sides ensure a very strong bond. Next I simply screwed the bolts in, and cut them off with a hacksaw.
After a poor job of peening the heads over, I filed them smooth. There is a noticeable difference between my first few rivets and my last, I got considerably better along the way. A little work on the belt sander after and everything was looking pretty good. I test fitted the infill and was pleased, I think there is still hope it might turn out into something half decent looking ;) That’s all for today, I’m thinking that the next blog will show the finished piece.