This is my first blog post, so don’t be to alarmed if it is the biggest piece of garbage you have ever read. I’ll try my best though ;)
For the past few months, I have been in a tool craze. Whether it is planes, saws, braces, chisels, or even miter boxes, I just can’t get enough. So when Don W started his blog about making an infill, I saw how easy it could be, and figured why not try it myself. I get a beautiful and functional tool to add to my collection, and some more toolmaking experience.
Step 1.): Search the internet for hours like a maniac for all info on building infill planes. Also read Don W’s blog like a cult follower. Haha I kid, but still, I wanted to get as much info on making this tool as I could. I don’t want to screw this one up (at least not too bad).
Step 2.) Once I had a decent amount of info on it, I sat for awhile and brainstormed some ideas. I wanted to go with a pretty original design, but also make it somewhat modern. I found a design by Peter McBride that I though was perfect. Time to draw up a rough plan.
I out out my trusty no. 4 for size comparison, and just sketched out the design I wanted. Drew the tote to look as comfortable as possible, and figured out the bed angle, and where pivot points should be.
Once I got my plan drawn out, I made a paper template of the sides. Next I found the size of steel I needed, and bought about half of it from the BORG. The rest I had to order from McMaster- Carr. I’m still waiting on that :/
Step 3.): Cutting out the sides
Unfortunately, I don’t have a metal-cutting bandsaw, so a hacksaw it is. I spent probably 4-5 hours cutting out the two sides, and filing smooth. Painstaking process, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Envisioning the plane, looks good so far. Tomorrow I’m going to start on the infill while I wait for my steel.
That’s where this blog ends, next part: Cutting the bottom to size, drilling and tapping, and the start of the infill. Thanks for reading!