When gluing up a small box like this one, it pays to use the tape method. Basically you lay the sides out in a line, outside up, and run strips of tape along the entire length. The tape acts like hinges on the mitres, and you can just ‘wrap’ the sides around, connecting the final corner. Everything stays aligned, and stress is kept to a minimum.
If you’re all out of tape, go and buy some. Don’t do as I did, and carry on without it – there lies the road to a stressful glue-up.
I decided to use Titebond liquid hide glue, partly to nod back to how the originals were probably stuck with animal glue of one sort or another, but also to allow for re-gluing should the initially weak mitre joints fail before being reinforced. With glue applied to the mitres, and a small dab in the bottom grooves of the ends, I assembled the sides around the bottom panel and set about clamping it together. Corner blocks, and over-sized clamping pads, helped to prevent the mitres from sliding out of alignment, but it was a high speed juggling act to get everything spot on during the glue’s open time. Needless to say, I now have a new supply of tape.
With the box set aside for the glue to cure, I found time to carve a finger pull into the lid. The lid also receives a lip, cut from the box end into which it will be slid. But, I’m not confident that that lip, simply glued to the end of the lid, will never fail. Whereas, the carved finger pull should be plenty strong enough to remove the lid should it tighten up with humidity.
-- Design, Build, Inspire. http://www.WOmadeOD.co.uk