Today it time for the drum assembly. I did not go for the Velcro method for 2 reasons, to get hold of the velcro and the sandpaper where I stay is expensive and scarce. I have read from a couple of guys using it with the handfeed method that as soon as you stop moving that you get a bit of a deeper cut on that spot. I will be using normal rolls of sandpaper rolled around my drum. What I did was designing my head unit to allow me to remove two plugs that hold the sandpaper in place to allow me to change my sandpaper. I will have to cut the paper for the sides everytime though, I’m sure I can make some sort of fixture to simplify that process.
Total lentgh of the drum is 460mm (18”) and the diameter is 110mm (4 3/8”). Effective sanding area will be 4”. The shaft is a 1” keyed one.
Plugs just pull to sides to replace paper. Once paper is in place push plug back in position and tighten grub screw.
The paper will hook into a slot in the drum and fold back a bit.
Complete head assembly with 2 dust collection ports as suggested by Paul M (shipwright)
Oops, thanks Lew. I completely forgot to say what the drum is made up of. The drum is a Class 12 (8mm wall thickness) PVC water pipe that is filled with 3/4” MDF disks clued together inside the drum.
As always, please advise, criticize or help as you see fit. Thanks for viewing.
-- Create, create, create create. It makes my blood flow. And what better material to use than wood, you can repeat the same object 1000 times and none will look the same in natural form.