So if you read my first blog you have seen how the spray booth looks now. In this blog I am going to talk about what I want to do to the spray booths in the future.
1. There is only one light in the booth area at the moment. It is an old four bulb shop light. I need some more shop lights. I am only spraying water based products so I don’t really need an explosion proof light set up but I think I will make a box and some plexi glass covers for lights to keep the over spray off the lights.
2. The plastic works good to keep the spray to that one area the only problem is that it is a pain to hang up and take down. To fix this I am going to get some clear shower curtains. I am going to figure out a way to hang them from the ceiling so I can pull them out when I need them and push them back when I don’t. This will also allow me to use the bay once we open up the second garage door.
3. Upgrade fan! The one fan works but I want to get more air moving. I decided to go the cheap way and just get another box fan for about $20 bucks. I am going to build set up to hold the two fans next to each other. I am thinking of building a shell the will hold the two fans next to each other. Since the two fans will be wider then my opening I will have to make something to direct the air from the two fans into the window opening. In front of the fans I was going to go with just two filters. But after seeing this article from Highland Woodworking http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=88 I have decided to go with 4 filters and a chamber behind the filters and have it go down to the two box fans. Once I get this done I will let you guys see it and also let you know what I think of it.
4. Drying Rack. Currently I am setting up saw horse on the other side of the garage. This works for big things like cabinets but when I am spraying my drawer bottoms, backs, and door inserts it turns out to be a big pain. As the booth stands now I have a workbench (that came with house) all the way in the back where the door opening should be. As you know I want to open up that opening at some point in time. That gave me two options. I can build a drying rack that moves on wheels so I can more it out of the way or just put up on in front of opening and worry about it when we open door way up. I’ve decided to go with option 2. I am going take some 2×4s and drill some hole 12 inches apart on my drill press to fit some plastic electrical conduit pipe. Then I am going to just put the 2×4s up like you would a wall and cut the conduit pipe about 16 inches long. I’ve seen it done before and it works great for light items. I will also be able to hang some doors from it by just leaving the end pipes in the studs and putting a long piece of pipe across the other pipes.
5. Widen the booth. If you look at the pictures of the booth in blog 1 you can see that the right side of the booths is a bit tight. There is another workbench that came with the house on that side. I am using it to store some scraps of ¾ prefinished ply I am using on a kitchen. I want to take this bench out so I can move the plastic closer to the wall. It works to spray cabinets the way it is now but for bigger pieces of furniture it will not work.
6. Ceiling. Right now I have the top of the booth wide open. I am not sure if I want to close it in with some plywood or maybe even plastic.
Currently those are the problems I have with my booth. Once I start doing some of the things I want to do to fix the booths up I will post pictures of what is done and how it looks and works.