LumberJocks

Tablesaw Mobile Station #6: Getting to the top...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Vernn posted 12-07-2015 01:38 AM 934 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: It's getting cold out... Part 6 of Tablesaw Mobile Station series Part 7: Putting up a fence... »

It’s been a little while since making a post…life seems to get in the way sometimes. However, I have been making some progress.

To pick up where I left off…I ended up bringing the top and all the materials in the house to apply the laminate. I put a box fan in a window and opened another window across from it to deal with the fumes…that worked out pretty well. I was able to get the laminate applied to both sides of the top and trim it up without any mishaps. And as soon as the laminate was applied and trimmed up…the fumes were pretty much gone, so my wife didn’t get to fussy about it.

On another note about the top…I think that I had mentioned that I wrapped the three sides with red oak mainly to add something tougher that just the raw MDF edges, but it should also look nice once I put some finish on it. But I really wanted to mention that in order to attach the edges I got myself a biscuit joiner. Been wanting one for a while and this was just the perfect excuse to get one now. I got the PORTER-CABLE 557 and that thing is fantastic! Made applying the red oak to the edge a piece of cake. It isn’t a FESTOOL Domino, but I can’t afford those things anyway.

Since then I let it cure for a couple of days in the nice warm room and then I took it back in the garage and started working on routing the inside edge on the bottom around the table saw table to allow for the angle aluminum that I used to support the edge of the top directly at the edge of the table saw top. That was rather tedious to get all that right and accurate, but it paid off. Everything fit perfectly…check out the picture.

Now that I have the table saw and table top permanently in place…I was curious about the accuracy of the saw. I had ordered the PALS alignment kit and installed them and then got out the dial indicator and checked the alignment. To my surprise, it was within .002. I went ahead and went through the procedure to align it using the PALS and now it is pretty much dead on…not that I would have ever noticed it being out by .002. Nonetheless…happy with the PALS system.

On a side note, I received my drill press and have been using and I’m quite satisfied with it. It performs just as I would expect. I think when people purchase something like this drill press and end up complaining about it…start out with unrealistic expectations. I’ve seen where people complain that it doesn’t have enough power. Depending on what they are trying to do, of course it doesn’t have enough power for certain operations, but for those things that is within it’s capability, it works great! I have already used it on various wood and 1/4” steel, and aluminum. Works perfectly…very happy with it and it’s exactly what I need to start fabricating the guide rail for the fence system, which is my next endeavor.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com