Today I started cutting out the parts for the work station. Being that I don’t really have a table saw at the moment that I can use for ripping and cross cutting, hence the making of this station, I started out making some circular saw guides. I made two…both being eight feet long, and then cutting one down to 3’ and 5’. These are great tools for cutting sheet goods when you don’t have the use of a table saw or other means. At the time I only had two saw horses and I quickly realized that I needed more “table space” to work safely and accurately. So, I then built some more saw horses. These are great sawhorses as they allow a surface for clamping and a wide face on top. As indicated in the video it takes five 2×4’s to make a pair of them. I ended up making 4 of them…and I really needed them dealing with the sheets of plywood.
Having dealt with the “tools” that I needed for handling and cutting up the sheets…I did manage to get all the major parts cut out. I haven’t started on any of the drawer parts yet…I’ll do that once the carcass is complete so I can measure for the size of the drawer with the slides in place.
I wanted to make sure that I get the best use of my sheets, so I started looking for a software program that would help with optimizing cuts on sheet goods. I found MaxCut, which has a free version that I used and it works pretty well. I simply took the measured pieces from my Sketchup drawing and input them in MaxCut and it gave me a complete cut list drawing that was really helpful.
Tomorrow I plan on starting to put the pieces together. I think there are a couple of other tools that I need to put together to aid in the assembly process, but that shouldn’t take long. I’ll let you know what I end up making in the next post if I end up using.
Until next time…