This project was started about two weeks ago. I’ve been doing little bits at a time between studying for promotion and work, so there isn’t much progress as of yet. I figured I’d drop an update whille I have the time. Bare with me as it’s been about nine years since I did any sort of woodwork at all.
Due to available materials I decided to go with a pine frame and cedar slatted sides. All the pieces are/will be joined by tongue & groove, mortise & tennon, and rabbit joints. The corners meet with the bases via the m&t’s. I’ve done some 6th grade routing on the base because I wasn’t happy with the boxish look. I’ve still got to cut a rabbit for some cedar trim along the corners and design a piece to sit on top of the corners and raise the overall height a bit.
The slats join to the corners with a tongue & groove kinda setup, mostly because of the tools I have on hand. The slats will also join to eachother with some rabbiting because I don’t want them to have any individual movement once assembled.
I slapped the two pieces together to get a rough idea of how this will look and I’m relatively pleased so far. I think the two tones of wood will complement eachother after I sand and hit the pine with a natural or light finish. I plan on just slapping some poly on the cedar slats with the hope of bringing the color to life a bit more.
I’m a novice with a limited selection of tools, so bare with me if you don’t agree with the way I’m proceeding with this. Even so, I’d love to hear some comments about what I could do differently next time, or other thoughts on how I should proceed with aspects such as finishing.
-- -- Marvin, Dover Air Force Base, Delaware