My wife was less than pleased when I decided to begin working with wood again after so many years. After all, the last time I’d done any kind of woodwork, we hadn’t yet met. I could see where she was coming from, since in her mind it was just another one of my random ideas. Knowing how her mind works, I decided to start off very small with the few tools my Father had left me when he passed away, and work with some inexpensive wood so she wouldn’t notice the impact in the budget. I took my time and whipped up a small whitewood shelf to hold some of her little knick-knacks; I was very upset with the shelf due to an over-critical nature my father instilled in me. Every little thing with the shelf drove me nuts, and I was sure she’d eat me alive when she saw it, accusing me of wasting time and money on something I had no business doing. To my surprise, she was delighted with the piece of junk; apperantly she doesn’t have very high standards when it comes to woodwork. Either way, she was pleased, so I used this to my advantage and talked her into letting me buy a tablesaw and begin a real project – a simple toybox for each of my children.
I decided that since money was still an issue, I’d go with the less expensive woods – ponderosa pine and cedar. I worked up what I thought was a well thought out design of a pine frame with cedar slatting on the sides, back, and front. This was my first mistake. I didn’t bother to take into account exactly how much wood I’d need to do the slatting. Oops.
My second mistake was in my initial idea to make the toybox safer for my children. I was worried about their fingers getting smashed between the lid and frame, so I worked up a flat rolltop design. What I failed to consider, however, was that toys becoming lodged in the rolltop slide would be inevitable. A quick redesign of the top and frame solved this problem without too much pain.
My third was a failure was a bit more of a problem. In all my hours of designing, I neglected to work in a bottom of the toybox. Oops. This took me a few days to work out in my head, which is fine because I’ve been very busy with work lately. It eventually came down to some tight work with a buscuit cutter.
Finally, as of last night, my router is on its last leg. I can hear the bearings making an awful sound, so I don’t think it will make it through this project. I can’t really blame it, since it’s almost as old as I am. Hopefully the wife won’t make my life too miserable when I come home with a new one. lol
So far, this is all I’ve had a problem with, although I still have a painfully long way to go. I’ll be sure to update with some pictures when I get to a point where I’ve got something more than random scraps of wood lying around.
-- -- Marvin, Dover Air Force Base, Delaware