I planed the suface defects off the faces of the 2×4’s and cut them to 74”. The width of the glued up lamination will be 12”. I am going to saw the length down to 72” when I’m done. I did find out I have trouble consistently cross-cutting a board square. To help myself out, I made a line down the side of the board instead of just across the top. I could then start off square by cutting along both lines and then sawing across as usual. This really improved my cuts tremendously.
Next, I marked a “x” on top of the side I felt was the best for the top of the bench. I then proceeded to put them together for a clamp-up dry run. I’m glad I did because I found out that some of the gaps would not close together. I pulled the boards out and put a straight edge across the face and found a hump in the middle. I must have planed the edges more than the center causing the hump. I used my #4 Stanley and planed the surfaces flat by skewing the plane and running it up the center of the face.
Now it is time to use some glue.
I used the time tested zig-zag pattern and rubbed the boards together. I used a dead blow hammer to get the boards as flat as I could, working from one end to the other. I did this on my basement floor and it made a huge mess.
I cleaned it up with some rags and water. Hopefully the wife won’t notice any spots I missed.
I used about a half of a quart bottle of glue. I’ll have to buy some more; I wouldn’t want to run out in the middle of a glue-up. Done for the night. Tomorrow I’ll start on the aprons. Thanks for reading.