Path To A New Workshop #4: Top Layer, Pegboard, and Other Stuff

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Vactet posted 12-20-2014 03:40 AM 1285 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Legs & Base Frame Completed Part 4 of Path To A New Workshop series Part 5: Drawer Shelf & Shelf »

So the last few days have proven to be highly productive.

Before moving the workbench to its final position I decided to ahead and hang the pegboard as not having 2’ of desk between you and the wall helps.
I decided on doing an 8’ long by 35” high pegboard. Its significantly smaller than my previous 4’x8’ pegboard. There is roughly about a foot between the top of the pegboard and the ceiling. I plan to put a shelf up there to hold plastic boxes like my Kreg kit or empty Dewalt Carrying Case. But that will happen later.

So pegboard.

Yep, put a simple basket up just for laughs.
A word on the ‘frame’ Simple box frame for it, but also a central horizontal piece along with 3 verticals at the junction points of the pegboard pieces. I know what I am about to hang on it, it wont be light, so its going to need some support.

Now let’s get that desk moved over…

So do you notice a problem? Look at the desk’s level vs the pegboard.
The pegboard is perfectly level…my garage floor is horribly not. I know garage floors are, by design, not level. But this was more of an angle than I have ever seen. Over 8’ there is roughly a 1 2/3” drop. I mean I was expecting to have to use some shims but not a 2×4. Its still not 100% level, but the difference now is only 1/6” over the run. Yes, I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times.
We shall come back to this.

Lets move to the finishing of the Phase 1 of the workbench.
(Short Version: Due to my constraints, I am building my workbench in Phases. Dividing the whole massive thing into smaller pieces leaves it functional between phases. Phase 1 is the basic bench. Check the first post of this series for a rendering of the completed bench).

First, the 15/32” Plywood on the bottom.

I used the basic math of wood here to set this up. A 2×4 on its long side is 3 1/2” Inches. Those are what make up the basic frame. Then there is a 2×4 on its short side, so 1 1/2”. Then a 2×10, also on its short side, measuring at another 1 1/2” That leaves the space for exactly a 1/2” Plywood. And thats what we have here.

I added a 3 cross- support 2×4 before this, just to give the center piece extra support. The plywood of the bottom was cut into 3 pieces to aid in attachment. Each piece meets at one of the cross-supports and the central piece of plywood also has a cross support directly in its middle.

Does that seem like a bit much for plywood on the bottom? Yeh. But the drawer shelf will be supported by that plywood in part (Also supported at the ends and center by the legs) hence the measures to ensure its secure.

Now lets get the top layer on.

First piece of the top is on and now you can see the sandwhich layering I had spoken of before. Its kind of like a cross-hatch effect but the result is that the bench does not wobble at all and has a mass amount of support to it.

As a point here. I love Roubo workbenches but I hate how heavy they are. I love that they are sturdy but the weight always annoys me. So with that in mind, I wanted to simulate the sturdiness without the weight. Presto, this design.

And here is the finished bench (Note: I had not yet shimmed it, so its still horribly off level).

Now would be a good time to shim it and get some tools on the pegboard huh?

So there we go, Phase 1 Done.

I am already biting at the bit to start Phase 2 and get the Drawer-shelf and shelf in but I have to wait a few days before starting that.

As a word of advice. When moving, when taking down your own pegboard, organize the hooks.
This is what I started with when I went to put everything up on the pegboard:

I cannot explain how much easier it makes life when you have these piles of similar hooks and you can quickly grab the right one for the job versus hunting for it in a box of pegboard hooks. I keep all the extras in sandwhich baggies so I can quickly grab what I need when I need it in the future.

Before closing out this blog, I wanted to discuss something, this idea of workable phases. Had a friend ask about them and he wanted me to explain them a bit more so here we go.

The idea is this, its rare that we can sit down, take two weeks off of life and just build our dream workshop. However, at the same time we need a functional bench. Maybe not idealy functional but functional to some extent. When I was designing the bench, I thought about HOW I was going to build it and then found natural stopping points that would always leave the bench usable before the next build phase. Thus I broke the entire build into certain phases that would achieve this goal. Of course, Phase 1 was the biggest and nastiest of them all. The next Phase will be the Drawer Shelf and actual shelf. What I mean by the drawer shelf is the actual shelf-like aspect of the drawers, not the drawers themselves. Those I can do later down the road one at a time, but just having that done and out of the way is critical.

Alright folks, thanks for reading. Next blog entry will be on the drawer shelf, actual shelf, and who knows what else.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics