LumberJocks

Path To A New Workshop #2: Primary Cuts & Leg Mockup

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Vactet posted 12-15-2014 09:30 AM 1212 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The Intro/Situation Part 2 of Path To A New Workshop series Part 3: Legs & Base Frame Completed »

So today is my one day off which means time to be productive. So once laying some new tile got dealt with, I was free to get to work on the bench.

First off, some pictures to show the current state of the garage.

So the first picture is of the garage itself, mind the girlfriend in the back there. Its currently a mess. Mostly due to stuff that still needs to migrate into the house and stuff that needs to go into the attic.

The second picture is of my current bench. 12’ Long and less then ideal to me now. It was built to house an ex-roommates tool cabinet (rolling multi-drawer) and my Kobalt cabinet. Well by the ex-roommate that should tell part of the problem with it. That and it is just too big for this garage. That lip (with a door you can sorta see) is just good space lost.

Moving on.

So I set out today with the goal of doing ALL of my rough cuts.

That’s most of it, but all of that is done.

The second goal was to do the final cuts for the legs and then assemble them. Well, after cutting and mocking one up (See pics below) I realized I had two problems. #I didn’t have the right screws. Coulda sworn I had them, but nope. Ahh the joys of moving. The only screws that would remotely work were a box of 3” deck screws. Made that mistake earlier in life, they simply wont stand up to the torque of going through 2×4’s. #I was suddenly, seeing the leg clamped up, realizing screws…were a bad idea. Its like using caulk to hold cinder blocks together. So I am opting for bolts. I will have to get those tomorrow.

Right, pics of the leg mockup.

3 2×4’s for each leg. Should be plenty beefy. The first picture shows the outside corner of the leg. The cutouts are for the cross-pieces. The central 2×4 is uncut and acts as even more of a support. The second picture is a top down view of the leg. In the end each leg is roughly 3”x5” in dimensions.

Tomorrow I plan to bore out the bolt holes, glue up, and then bolt together all the legs. Day after that I will get the base frame put together and will post all of the pictures from that stuff then.

Thanks for reading.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com