Looking for a very specific style of screwdrivers

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Unskilled posted 11-15-2009 01:08 AM 1420 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hello LJ – I’ve received a very warm welcome, and many people have left comments in my profile. It’s nice to find a community like this where people are actually polite and aren’t laughed at for being that way.

I’d like to enlist your help if possible. I am in the process of reviewing my current tool kit, and I’ve come across a few things I’d like to replace, but can’t find a good source for.

The first thing is Screwdrivers. I have more than I can remember, probably in the range of 75 or so that I’ve collected over the past 15 years. I have a set of Craftsman ones with the clear handle and rounded end. They have a feature that I really like – squared shafts. I have another set of black Craftsman Professional ones that have a black hex shaft, with a rubberized handle that isn’t too uncomfortable. My problem is that I can’t find replacements for the black ones in the same style. If I could, I would snap up a few kits to keep in case I cut into one again (long story!).

I have a set of Stanley Torx drivers that have a rounded triangular handle that are very comfortable. I have seen that Lee Valley have a set like this for Square, Slotted, and Phillips, but no Torx or Hex. They have a wooden handle which I really like, but round shafts.

Do any of you know of a source for sets or individual screwdrivers that have the following features?

- Rounded triangle handles made from a dark wood like these –,43411,43417&ap=2
- A hex or square shaft (stainless)
- A good quality product
- Available in Square, Slotted, Phillips, Hex, and Torx

Alternatively, a black shaft with a light colored wood handle

I prefer to buy American, but I’ll take what I can get if it’s a good quality product.

Thanks in Advance,

-- -- Northamptonshire, England -- USAF Veteran

6 comments so far

View WayneC's profile


13754 posts in 4097 days

#1 posted 11-15-2009 01:16 AM

You could try Mcfeely's .

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View papadan's profile


3584 posts in 3368 days

#2 posted 11-15-2009 02:37 AM

I have certain types that I prefer to use, like the orange handle Ridgid that is no longer made. E-bay is your friend, you can find any kind there, I just got another set of my Ridgids for $6 +4.50 shipping and the original price was 15.99.

View Karson's profile


35121 posts in 4400 days

#3 posted 11-15-2009 03:23 AM

If you can find the shanks you could make your own handles.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia †

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1798 posts in 3191 days

#4 posted 11-15-2009 03:24 AM

craigs list/e-bay good luck

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Jim's profile


120 posts in 3998 days

#5 posted 11-15-2009 05:55 AM

these guys supply screw drivers for cornwell and matco tools maybe more. I use them at work and they are very good quality.

-- Jim in Cushing Oklahoma

View drfixit's profile


318 posts in 3144 days

#6 posted 11-23-2009 01:36 AM

I just bought a set of channel lock brand from Sams club…. Very comfortable to grip, and heavy height to them.

Click here for the Sams link to them and at $20 I think they are a great deal. Hope this is what you are looking for.

-- I GIVE UP!!!! I've cut this @!&*!% board 3 times.... its still too short!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics